Passport 470 or Hylas 46 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-27-2015 Thread Starter

Passport 470 or Hylas 46

I am trying to make a difficult decision between two similar center cockpit boats around the same age and over all condition. Both are 1997 ish. Does anyone have a preference and why?

My wife and I are planning on cruising the Caribbean for a couple years then going to the Med for a couple more years. It will be mostly the two if us with occasional guests.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-27-2015
grumpy old man

Re: Passport 470 or Hylas 46

MIke:
I think the Passport is the better built and finished boat. But it's close. Of course I prefer my own designs but I have always like the Hylas boats.
hellsop likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #3 of 15 Old 10-27-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks. there just seems to be so many similarities between the two. We are traveling to Wisconsin to look at a 470 and are very excited.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-27-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike baker View Post
Thanks. there just seems to be so many similarities between the two. We are traveling to Wisconsin to look at a 470 and are very excited.
Any boat in Wisconsin this time of the year should be able to be had at a great price. Not only must the owner consider the expense of having a boat he can't use all winter, but you should consider the cost of getting her out of the Great Lakes and as far as Nova Scotia before you can really begin enjoying the boat, especially if you want her out of the area before the ice sets in.
I'd check with a delivery skipper as to the cost of moving her out of the lakes, and down the St. Lawrence and take that into consideration in your offer.
However, if it was me trying to decide, the livability of a boat is far more of a consideration than her looks or sailing ability for an adventure like the one you are planning. Remember, she's going to be your HOME for a number of years. Ventilation would also be very high on my list, unless you plan to run a generator and air conditioning every time it gets hot and muggy.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #5 of 15 Old 10-27-2015
Old enough to know better

An envious choice for sure!

Not sure if the Passport is the aft cockpit model, but if it is that would be the winning boat for me. But that is my preference. I looked for a Robert Perry boat but they were out of my price range. (he does have some affordable designs, but I could not find one in good condition) I like the look of the galley, think I could put some slamming dinners together in that. (you can tell he likes food, most of his galleys are very workable)

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #6 of 15 Old 10-27-2015
grumpy old man

I know for a fact that round settees don;t work worth a damn. The human body seeks corners.
JimMcGee likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #7 of 15 Old 10-27-2015 Thread Starter

I am actually from Minnesota and currently sail out if the Apostles in Wisconsin. I have one year until my retirement date so I would more than likely sail it up and around from Manitowoc Wi, which is on Lake Michigan. It would be already to late for this year and I would prefer to wait until next spring, but I am getting way ahead of myself. the fact that this particular boat is in fresh water with little use lately and stored indoors is interesting. The engine only has 1800 hours.

My ultimate plan would be to update what I need to and get her ready to take her out through the lakes myself when I no longer need to report to work.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-27-2015

If I was going to spend that much money on a boat, I would purchase Bob Perry boat consultation services. A well spent $500 even if you weren't buying one of "his" boats
Robert H. Perry Yacht Designers, Inc. Consultation Service

Not to suck up too much to Bob, and he is generous with his advice online, but I would spend the bucks for the extra attention.

And because it's fair.
miatapaul, eherlihy and bobperry like this.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #9 of 15 Old 10-27-2015

I'll help you move it, Mike. I do like the aft cockpits better though. Just my more traditional prefwrence. If I recall the aft cockpit Passport is easy to move about in for more than one person. Lots of reasons to go center, too.
bobperry likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-27-2015

I'm sure they are both great boats. Occasionally, I hear some grumbling about the Queen Long Shipyard in Taiwan, where Hylas is built (no idea if the 47 was built elswhere). I've never heard anything but good things about the Passport build. But, they are both great brands.

Anecdotally, I was on both the Hylas 63 and the Passport 61 at the Annapolis sailboat show a few weeks ago. In that case, there is no comparison. The Passport seemed, by far, to be the superior boat in both design and quality. Could be personal preference.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.