SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Passing time on long passages, (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/22690-passing-time-long-passages.html)

Spontaneity 09-05-2006 01:19 PM

Passing time on long passages,

Other than reading, movies, & crawling around the deck at attempt to capture an artistic photo of various boat parts, what is your favorate passtime? (maint., and standard chores don't count)...

Cruisingdad 09-05-2006 02:53 PM

Assuming we are not passing it with head stuck over the side...

I enjoy doing some writing, though that is not for everyone. I cannot do this if I am on the patch (absolutely cannot focus).

I will tell you where we spend a lot of time if there is a nice breeze and the seas are not bad: Leaning into the jib. I works best on about a beam reach... close hauled you are heeling too much. Walk forward (partner watching of course) and grab onto the Jib and kinda hang over. I could stand there for hours staring out into the sea. Is it just me or is there a very slight vacuum where you cannot hear anything but the occasional splash of the wave and a very comfortable silence?? The world is quiet and you feel like you are the only person. Best place on the boat, in my opinion.

At night, lay down in the cockpit and stare off to one side of the bimini. MAN!!! there are countless stars out there once you are away from the land masses.

Ever sit there and wait for the moon to come up over the horizon? It is huge at sea.

I cannot fish worth a darn, but sometimes I throw over the hook just in case some poor, stupid, blind fish crosses my path. I don't really want to catch anything, just something to do I think. I am not sure my Spiderman Pole with zero-test would take anything anyway. I guess one of these days I will have to get serious and actually try putting some bait on there?!!

sailingdog 09-05-2006 04:58 PM

Writing and reading would be the top of my list... followed closely by listening to music.

PBzeer 09-05-2006 05:05 PM

Music, reading, and writing are definites. Just started trusting the A/P enough to go forward for more than a minute or two this weekend, and I enjoyed standing at the bow as well. And not to forget, just musing on new projects <G>.

camaraderie 09-05-2006 07:45 PM

Playing my accordion where no one can hear me! <grin>

eryka 09-05-2006 08:10 PM

getting rid of my tan lines! ;-)

sailingdog 09-05-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie
Playing my accordion where no one can hear me! <grin>

Thank god for little favors. ;)

MikeinLA 09-06-2006 03:59 AM

Looking for Eryka's boat. ;-)

eryka 09-06-2006 10:48 AM

You'd be welcome if you bring a good supply of sea stories - conversation is actually my most-favorite way of passing time while sailing. That and looking for the green flash (oops, that was another thread)

sailingdog 09-06-2006 10:56 AM

Eryka, I don't think that's why he was looking for your boat... ;)