Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul
yes, I can imagine that ammo could be a problem. So, do you never consider the (admitedly unlikely) possibility that someone might try to board your vessel with a knife or machete with bad intentions? Do you let them take what they want? Fight them off with a boathook? Or does this never happen in reality?
Generally, this only happens if you go to areas where piracy is a problem. Also, if it does happen, you will generally be outnumbered, and often out armed, whether it be the machetes or guns... and resisting is a good way to get killed. If you are properly armed and skilled, resistance might make sense, but avoidance is generally a much better policy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Shack, who in their right mind would call an F14 or F15 in on a pirate? What you want is to call in an A-10 Warthog. "F" for Fighter, "A" for ATTACK. Horses for courses, and all that fine stuff.

So help me, I've seen CAMELS painted among the silhouettes on the nose of a Warthog, those guys enjoy getting close and personal before they punch big holes in things.

Get some joint-operations chief liquored up and bet him no one can land a Warthog on an aircraft carrier, who knows, maybe he'll take the bet. I'll bet there's enough reverse thrust from the main gun that they can do it WITHOUT any arresting hook.

Sometimes, when you are having a radio conversation with someone and you both know it is being recorded and they have certain protocols binding them, it is necessary to play a very delicate dance with your words. Say the magic word, and ooops, I thought you said a DUCK was going to come down.

Didn't that nice man on the boat just ask me to come have tea with Osama? My mistake, I was sure that's what he said.

Last edited by hellosailor; 09-15-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Gawd, I love the internet! It only took three days to go from hidden safes to Warthog attacks on Osama sipping tea on a sailboat.
Old 09-15-2006

hereicome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLikeaFish
Gawd, I love the internet! It only took three days to go from hidden safes to Warthog attacks on Osama sipping tea on a sailboat.
Damn must have been a SLOW 3 days. LOL
Old 09-15-2006

Shack is on a distinguished road
Drifting with the current . . .

So much for the title of the Thread!! Where's a moderator when you need one!

HELLOESAILOR - "Who in their right mind would call and F-15?" Apparently Saildog might consider it - (I was resp to his post )

As far as A-10 on boats go - NEAT! First I'd want to see a tailhook on the ass end. There is not THAT much revers thrust in the big gun Then of course, those things are so slow you could land in them just about anywhere. The reality of is that after a few traps the A-10's landing gear would collapse. They're tough airplanes but their landing gear is their achilles heel.

Radio games work great when the other guy is listening . . .
However, Taliban run away when an airplane is over head . . . once bitten?
Pirates ???? Hmmmmm Let's hope they monitor UHF instead of VHF.

Bottom line - calling for assistance from the US Navy?? or Hide a weapon aboard in your safe?? One's probably better off to arm thyself and prepare to repell boarders. The Navy ain't comin' - and the bad guys know it.
Old 09-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Shack-

Might want to read this, and this. The US Navy has stepped up its anti-piracy actions, and does respond in areas it has assets. The statement about the F15 was based on an article in one of the sailing magazines, which described the US Navy's response to reports of an American-flagged sailboat under attack. It wasn't that the sailors in question called in an F15, but what the navy sent as a primary fast response, followed by a ship.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-15-2006

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
Ok. I know for a fact that I'm not going near Somalia. Never thought about it. Also, not going to go to any areas well known for piracy. Still, I'm trained and licensed with handguns and am leaning to keep one in the safe.

If I can't put a safe in an area that someone can't find unless they TEAR the boat apart, then I won't at all. If they are there to tear the boat apart, then it won't matter. I will keep copies and cash (less then in the safe) in a poorly hidden area as deterrence.

My attitude towards handguns is that I won't pull or reach for it unless I am sure I'm going to have to use it to defend my family’s lives. Not property. Our lives. Of course that means shooting to kill. My friends who are law and govt. officers agree.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-15-2006
Telstar 28

Michael-

There is nothing more dangerous than someone with a gun and not the training and knowledge to use it. I fully agree that you shouldn't pull a gun unless you are willing and able to pull the trigger if necessary.

Still, given how draconian the gun laws are in most countries, I wouldn't risk carrying on when I am cruising. Also, in many situations, you will be both outnumbered and often out-gunned...pulling a gun in those situations just will get you and your family killed unless you're very lucky.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-15-2006

Saildog
That's really cool!! I hadn't heard of those incidents! - except for the cruise ship that was RPG'd as it pass through the area last year. I heard the pirate activity was moving further out to sea. But I'd say, "THAT'S HOW your spend tax money!" Ooorah!

I can't help but think that the Navy's response to this sort of thing is localized on that geographic area. I have participated in opertions in that area while we hunted for terrorists, albeit the land based variety. It looks related to the CJTF-HOA (Horn of Africa) operations that have been going on for sometime.

Don't know if you'd find similar responses around Indonesia or elsewhere, though. Really cool anyway! I'll shut my mouth about the HOA region, at least! "Anchors Away "and all that . . .to the Cracker Jacks!!

If your sailing through that area, I suggest getting a radio checks a couple times a day so the warships know your out there and visa versa. Don't wait to introduce yourself until you need them. You might even talk to a kid from your home town!
Old 09-15-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
There is nothing more dangerous than someone with a gun and not the training and knowledge to use it. .
Same with a boat . . .