Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
Built in safe for cruising yacht

How do you all feel about a built in hidden safe? During the construction process of my yacht, I'll have the ability to place a hidden safe where I feel it would be well placed. Should I or would it better to just store cash and other paperwork in places like food boxes and other areas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2006
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
James Bond Style

Just wondering, you going to have the kind with the remote door and all the fancy stuff like James Bond?

A hidden safe or strong box is always a good idea but it’s important to remember that nothing within the safe is always safe. Only keep what you need and keep multiple copies. Carry mostly travelers’ checks not cash to limit your liability. If something should happen they will replace them for free without too much trouble. Put a copy of everything (as well as some cash) in your ditch bag. If something happens you need to have a copy of everything as well as emergency cash.

A safe is always better then a Oreo box.
Old 09-11-2006

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
JB Style? Why not. Because it's a new boat, I guess I could tell him to install a false panel with a connection to a button under or behind somewhere that would have to be pressed to release the door. Obviously I would need a manual way to open incase of power loss.

I've thought about a "ditch bag" that will be ready to go in necessary. Cash and copies of critical documents will be included.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Michael...we did it a lot more simply with just a hidden compartment. The teak over the compartment is simply velcroed down and looks like any other teak on the boat. A simple press at the corner lets us pull the board away from the velcro.
If you go the "safe" route...be careful what you bolt it to as determined thieves might just put a hole in your boat!
Old 09-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A safe is generally not such a good idea. Boats are generally less robust than the materials in the safe, and as such, can be damaged to remove said safe. Concealment is usually better than an obvious hiding place, such as a safe. Also, many safes are not very well thought out for a marine environment, where the salt-laden air and constant moisture will cause serious problems with the locking mechanism, if not the actual safe container itself. Safes are also relatively heavy, especially if you want a fire-resistant one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2006

dnbod2 is on a distinguished road
Any time I travel I carry cash and lots of it, not even travelers checks. Think about it, they come aboard and find cash, not hidden, and you make them happy. The alternative is that you get real clever and make them mad, I want that law breaker to be happy, not mad at me or the boat. What is a few thousand dollars compared to boat damage or harm to you or loved ones. David
jimjazzdad likes this.
Old 09-11-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
Get a cheapo WalMart safebox. put some copies of various papers in there an a few bucks. Leave it unlocked, but hidden in the first place they will look.

meanwhile, money rolls up well in a little PVC tube with end caps, can be stashed in a number of places, and will float if need be. Who would cut open a PVC pipe? Or how bout double ziplocked inside a specific life vest pocket? Hidden in plain sight is best. Everybody knows about the fake food cans.

slightly different subject, but I am curious as to whether anyone here has experience with the .38 caliber steel inserts for flare pistols?
Old 09-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd avoid firearms, and in many countries, having the ammunition and an insert can get you into hot legal water...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
yes, I can imagine that ammo could be a problem. So, do you never consider the (admitedly unlikely) possibility that someone might try to board your vessel with a knife or machete with bad intentions? Do you let them take what they want? Fight them off with a boathook? Or does this never happen in reality?
Old 09-11-2006

Shack is on a distinguished road
Some of you gents sound like you have sizable experience in international sailing. I have heard of Mexicalli Coast Guard boarding private vessels and throwing the occupants in to the legal system (cuz they had ammunition). I guess they didn't hide it very well. Do you care to share any sea stories??

My travel experience far exceeds my sailing experience, and from what I've seen the places that are most strict about firearms are often the place where you may need one the most.

However, proper trip planning, permits, and appropritate rolls of red tape can actually get you and your "heater" into other countries. This is not very free wheeling, but then again many laws are not inclined to your freedoms.

Countries allow for hunting will have laws that can be accessed in order to bring your shootin' iron to their shores. Appropriate customs paper work and the assoicated fees can sometimes be worked out. (Get it in writing - get a copy to a third person who has comm with your embassy ahead of time - oh, and get it in writing, did I say that?)

I don't know squat about the Caribbean, however!!!

I think I shall research this topic and see if the embassy dudes have any info.

. . . sea stories, anyone?

I got my Guinness open.