Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006

erdagte is on a distinguished road
Yep, it sure does help. I use the water in my tanks daily. I'm not too particular about taste, etc... just as long as it doesn't give me the nasties. But after reading your post, just to be sure, I'll run a shock treatment with bleach instead of vinegar (btw, I have stainless steel tanks, if that makes a difference). And the prefilter idea can't hurt.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The only real option to bleach is iodine. Either crystals, or plain (clear, not red colored) "tincture of iodine" which is iodine dissolved in alcohol.

Bear in mind that common table salt is IODIZED because most of us do not get enough iodine in our diets. Too much iodine will leave a taste in the water, but a charcoal filter or other means will remove that. You can get iodine from most pharmacies, definitely tincture if they don't have crystals. "Polar Pure" water purifier is a special jar kit of iodine crystals.

If you wanted to do a little investing and go chemical free, UV-C ("C" band UV lighting) breaks down DNA quite aggressively. Bacteria, viruses, parasites, all get disrupted by it in no time flat. You can buy a UV-C water treatment lamp, which is normally installed as the last part of a home water purificiation system, and either install it before your faucet, or in your water tank. There are even two portable versions of this ("SteriPen" is one) sold in camping stores for treating water.
Old 09-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, you should be aware that some of the saltwater parasites aren't affected much by iodine, as there is plenty of it in seawater.

BTW, if you do you chlorine bleach in stainless tanks, let the tanks breathe for about 45 minutes to help neutralize the chlorine. Chlorine bleach attacks stainless steel, and 304 is far more affected than 316 alloys IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Saltwater parasites in the FRESHwater tank?

Hey, there could be a while ecosystem in there, I"m just looking at what's known to come along with "fresh" water. What kind of saltwater critters have you found in the fresh water supply?
Old 09-24-2006

Lecy is on a distinguished road
Clean Tabs Ltd makes a product called Puriclean to 'clean and purify all stored water systems.' The companion product, Aqua Clean, treats the water after the tank is clean. Aqua Clean claims to 'guard against illness caused by contaminated water and destroy organisms which cause Legionellas, Cholera, Diarrhoea, Typhoid, Amoebic Dysentery and Salmonella.' They've been used by boaters in Chicago for years and I've never heard a complaint about these products.

One side note, don't assume that marinas and boatyards have potable water. That's not always the case.
Old 09-24-2006

My marina water is good and at sea I have a watermaker (save that for a new thread). But the tanks sat stagnant for about a year. I flushed out the system twice a few mnoths ago. I used vinegar (because I didn't know any better). Now I'll do it again with bleach. But assuming I have to fill the tanks, that's a 120 gallons and a lot of pumping.

I've seen Puricleann / Aqua Clean, but haven't given much thought to it. Again, from what I'm reading here, if your marina is serving you good water and you use your tanks regularly, then you should be okay.
Old 09-25-2006

Teredo is on a distinguished road
'My marina water is good'

How do you know?
Old 09-26-2006

The doc tests it every month.
Old 09-26-2006
Plausible Deniability

"I've seen Puricleann / Aqua Clean," That seems to be chemically the same "bleach" used as a commercial pool cleaner, plus an optional second chemical to neutralize some of the flavor. IOW, a solid form of bleach.
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Saltwater parasites in the FRESHwater tank?

Hey, there could be a while ecosystem in there, I"m just looking at what's known to come along with "fresh" water. What kind of saltwater critters have you found in the fresh water supply?
One of my friends got pretty sick during a longer passage in really rough weather...as enough salt water got into the freshwater tanks through the deck fill being under. They knew the tank had gotten some salt water in it and were "purifying" the water with iodine tablets that they had from a camping store. Don't know what it was that made him ill, but he had five days of the runs... UGH...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.