SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Water Purification (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/23164-water-purification.html)

hsilvermanmdjd 09-20-2006 03:33 AM

Water Purification

In addition to using an in-line filter when filling water tanks, does anyone recommend adding a biocide to the water?

yotphix 09-20-2006 04:13 AM

Being bio myself and not wanting to cide I recommend not. If you are filling from chlorinated municipal water supplies the water will be safe. If you are concerned about it you could do a periodic flush. Fill with water and killer chem of your choosing and empty. Refill and enjoy! If you are filling at docks in questionable places then ignore me and cide away:)

Cruisingdad 09-20-2006 09:48 AM

Many of the cruisers I know, myself included, use periodic additions of bleach. It will not hurt you in small quantities (in large quantities will give you diarhea). We have 2 seperate tanks and typically bleach one of them a tad more than the other as it is typically used for shower.

If you are living aboard and or cruising, you will find that this is not all that neccessary very often as you will go through the water quick enough not to worry about it. If your boats sets up a bit, it may be more neccessary. You will get a growth in your tanks without some caution.

We have tried a few different systems for post filtration (drinking water), but have settled into a cheap Pur water filter pitcher with a charcoal filter on top. You can get them at Walmart and they are cheap. It fits in the fridge and thus you can keep cold water on hand. It takes not pressure to push it through and you can store a lot of the filters for long-term runs.

Just our experiences. You may find something else that works better.

- CD

PS I imagine from your posts that you will have a watermaker on board - thus your water should be very clean going in. Just worry about post-build-up.

sailingdog 09-21-2006 10:06 PM

BTW, bleach is not really all that effective long-term.. it works well when it is first added to the system, but not for very long. In higher concentrations, it will kill all the stuff living in your water system....as in a shock treatment. Be aware that it does attack certain components that may be in your water system... like rubber seals, metal parts, etc.

jerryrlitton 09-21-2006 10:45 PM

A friend of mine said that the bleached water tasted better when he added a 5th of JD in his 100G tanks.

sailingdog 09-21-2006 11:04 PM

Also, you don't want to use any chlorine in the water if you need to use it to flush the membrane on a RO watermaker. Chlorine will destroy the membrane.

erdagte 09-22-2006 12:04 AM

What about vinegar?

I heard that vinegar was better than bleach for adding to your tanks. I'm not too concerned about taste, just health.
Comments?

sailingdog 09-22-2006 08:09 AM

Vinegar is a great way to clean the tanks, neutralize funny tastes, and get rid of mineral deposits..but it does not kill most bacteria...not enough to be considered a shock treatment of the water system.

erdagte 09-23-2006 05:01 AM

Thanks sailingdog... but if not bleach or vinegar... what should I use? Or does it even matter?

sailingdog 09-23-2006 08:26 AM

The best way to prevent growth of stuff in your tanks is to shock treat the tanks properly, using chlorine bleach, and then to keep the water moving through the system. The only time you really get nasty growth in a good fresh water system that has been shock treated properly and filled with clean water is if the water sits stagnant for an extended period of time.

Also, you should avoid putting any water that is questionable into your water tanks. Pre-filtering the water, with a strainer will help keep a lot of the gunk out of the tanks. You should wash down the deck in the area of the water tank deck fill, to help remove any dirt and gunk that may otherwise get washed into the water tanks from that area, prior to filling your water tanks.

If you use a hose in a marina to fill your tanks, make sure that you run the water long enough to flush what ever has been sitting in the hose and baking in the sun. That may take a few minutes, but the water coming out of the hose, when you are about to fill your tanks, should be fairly cold, and fresh out of the underground water main.

Obviously, if your marina uses a large, above ground tank or cistern, then this may not be the case.

Hope this helps.