Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
I am 51, and many years ago I had planned the similar dream. I bought a 32' Alden sloop and lived aboard that boat for two years, and while it had decent accommodations, it did start to become claustrophobic to me and I was not comfortable with that and so decided this was not the right boat for me and sold it!

I decided back then, 1998, that if I were going to do this again, I would not consider anything less than a 40' and a double cabin type boat would be a big plus. I did a lot of research for the best suited boat in my financial range and have since July found the boat I wanted and have been sailing and living aboard once again! I am currently in the process of learning this boat and making adjustments and refitting as well as outfitting for extended cruising. I'm planning to shove off in a year or so, buy then, the boat and me, should be well acquainted!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossir
eryka:

I am also considering taking one of those liveaboard week-long courses, also in the USVI! What kind of boat do you now live on?
rick - this is a sistership to ours, only info I could find on the 'net: http://www.seeboat.com/boatlisting.c...s=1&sort=DESC#

Do you have someone specific in mind for your learn-to-sail? The guy that taught us is still in the business, I can PM you with his contact info if you want.
Old 09-26-2006

rossir is on a distinguished road
eryka: I wold like that contact info, though I may not contact for couple of months - trying to figure out my children's schedule so I can get away for a week. My emil is walawayo@yahoo.com.

Saw that CSY - I am not familiar with them - I'll have to look more of them up.
Old 09-26-2006

EagleSailTwo: Do you singlehand? 40' sounds like too much boat for me, but then again, I only have a 14 footer - so much I need to learn!
Old 09-26-2006

Quetzalcoatl is on a distinguished road
age and boat buying

rossir: Here's another voice to let you know you are not alone! I'm 52. I became interested in sailing over 15 years ago. I spent the ensuing years reading everything I could get my hands on, and dreaming all the while. I read lots about "getting your first boat", and weighed the big-versus-small issue carefully. I compromised...I finally got my first "real" sailboat about three years ago, and it was a 25-footer. We had to move to another part of the U.S., and sold our boat. I had many regrets about not having a sailboat, but I had to get used to the new city and surroundings, so I did not bring my first sailboat with me. I finally reached a point where I felt it was time. Once again...boat size came into question. I am 5'11" and 170 lbs. and my wife is a very energetic 106 lbs. She also loves to sail. We decided that my years of study might compensate for our relatively small fund of experience. In particular, we wanted to spend as much time on the boat as possible, which meant many overnights. Comfort was therefore a factor, with the boat having to double as sleeping quarters. Our prior boat was nice, but felt sometimes like camping in a small tent on overnights. There was an earlier comment about comfort as a positive factor when dealing with a lukewarm spouse. I agree. Nothing will kill your chance to sail as easily as a spouse who hates your boat. We went contrary to conventional wisdom about boat size, and bought a 42-foot sailboat on a large lake within driving distance from home. Some would see our lack of extensive experience as a real problem. I anticipate some criticism on this board for the way I have approached this.
My wife loves the boat. I have moved ahead carefully with it. Our neighbors at our dock are incredibly generous in lending a hand and giving advice. I'm still at the steep part of the learning curve withthe boat, and will be for some time. So far, the greatest challenge has been gracefully backing the boat into the slip.
We plan to eventually retire to live full-time on a sailboat, and to cruise long distance. I felt that getting competent handling a larger boat was the right way for us to meet our eventual goal.
My take-home lessons from my personal situation:
1) Conventional wisdom is great, but do what feels right in your own judgment.
2) Be realistic: know your own limitations. This does not preclude being a bit bold, but you must consider the consequences of inadequate preparation and inappropriate risk-taking
3) Prepare, read, then prepare some more. While nothing is a substitute for hands-on experience, understanding underlying principles and how to approach situations can take you pretty far
4) Go for it!
5) The best boat in the world for you is the one that will get you out there happily on the water....today!
6) Pick a safe place to begin sailing, and NEVER go out early on in extreme conditions or if severe weather is in the forecast. Hopefully choose a place where, if you get into trouble the lee shore is not 3000 miles away!
7) You are only too old if you think you are!
Happy sailing
Q
Old 09-26-2006

Good advice Quetzalcoatl. and good handle too! For me, 40' seems like a real stretch, a I am planning, at least now, only for myself, with occasional guest. I also think that getting out as much as I can inmy 14 footer will help a great deal toward understanding the larger boats. My blue-jay is a training vessel - she is rigged the same way as boats up to 35 or so - main and jib and spinnaker rigging.
Old 09-27-2006

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossir
EagleSailTwo: Do you singlehand? 40' sounds like too much boat for me, but then again, I only have a 14 footer - so much I need to learn!
rossir

While this boat is new to me, I am still getting acquainted and learning this boat as I go. I haven't yet tried my mizzen, haven't even bent it on! My auto-pilot, an old Autohelm 4000, worked once! I plan now to install a new auto pilot. To answer your question, yes one can single-hand this 43' ketch but I would not think of trying to raise the main without a working auto pilot! I have taken her out alone and only let out the furling jib, easy to do and you don't have to leave the cockpit!
Old 09-27-2006

EagleSailTwo: Too bad about your auto-pilot - It seems tha tI often read on these forums about auto pilots breaking down.
Old 09-29-2006

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
Rossir,
Where in CT are you and what is your availability to go sailing? I have just turned 61, single-hand our ODay 40 out of New London, and love company on board when the Admiral isn't available, and even when she is. I got back into sailing in my mid-fifties, and am always learning.
Bill Coxe, O40 Kukulcán, New London, CT
Old 09-29-2006

wlcoxe - Bill! I live in Essex and would LOVE to be able to get out on the water! I am less than 1/2 hour from you, and I work at home, so I am often available.