SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dismal Swamp Canal Question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mariner3302 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, but I heard a rumor that the Dismal Swamp Canal only has enough funding to stay open through the end of October. Is that true? I'm heading south down the ICW in another week or so. I'm sure I could make it there by the end of October if I had to, but I'd rather not rush, especially because I'd love to spend some time in the Chesapeake.

And another question: there are two locks on the Dismal Swamp Canal, correct? Are those difficult to maneuver? I've never been through a lock before, and am a little paranoid about them.

Thanks!

http://www.casting-off.blogspot.com

#2 ·
I emailed Skipper Bob and he advises that there is funding in place to keep the Dismal open until December 2006.
The locks are not difficult just come along side of the wall dead slow. I can't remember what you attach to, I think there maybe ropes attached to the wall which you hold onto, but have a bow and stern line ready. other than that it's a gentle ride up and down.
The Dismal is far from dismal at this time of year, you will really enjoy the trip.

#3 ·
The swamp is open and it is a very nice trip. They should have completed the drag of the canal to get a lot of debris out. I was there a couple months ago and it was quite nice. The locks are very easy. You will be directed to a spot on the wall, then you throw a line to the attendant or tie off to a cleat. Slack is of course required but don't worry, the attendant will coach you. You can make a two day trip of it or do it in one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.