Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I agree wholeheartidly with mikeedmo and would not recommend interviewing the law enforcement officer either. They are never people to cross. As`Skipper Bob says move on and report it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2006

bwu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeedmo
Just a quick note to affirm the recommendation to obey the law enforcement officer. If you refuse to obey an order by the LEO you can be arrested on the spot and booked into the county jail and things don't get sorted out till they make it to the State Attorney's Office for resolution. The legislation is a major victory for us but regardless of whether we're on a boat, in a car or on a side-walk, if a cop tells you to do something do it, and if you're the only "witness" and you start demanding information from the officer you could be setting yourself up for what they call a "little street justice."
Exactly.

"You can beat the rap...but you can't beat the ride."

Also in this instance, you could have a copy of 7175 in your hand and unknowingly be 100% wrong as to where it is applicable.
Old 10-16-2006

Insails is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that the MNMA make a packet available for cruisers.You could keep a copy of the state law in writing onboard and not say a word just present the law enforcment officer with the copy...Then he knows you know the law and will be less likely to "Make his own for the rich who called him"...
Old 10-16-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails
I would suggest that the MNMA make a packet available for cruisers.You could keep a copy of the state law in writing onboard and not say a word just present the law enforcment officer with the copy...Then he knows you know the law and will be less likely to "Make his own for the rich who called him"...
...and if they included a map of municipalities that have jurisdiction of their wetlands it would actually be useful.
Old 10-29-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
Was at the Ft Lauderboat boat show this weekend and talked to a member of the Mfg Assoc. when i asked what i do if anchored off Miami Beach and they tell me to move she said move - i said there is a law that i don't have to and her response was yes but the cities are choosing to ignore it and enforce their own laws. SO what goes does it do to pass laws when the locals refuse to obey them -
Remember -- IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A MILLION DOLLAR YACHT THE PEOPLE IN SOUTH FLORIDA DO NOT WANT YOU - STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL BE CHASED AWAY - IT IS THAT SIMPLE

chuck and soulmates
Old 10-30-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Chuck, read my orginal post. If they chase you away do as Skipper bob suggests - leave and report it to David Dickerson, director of the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) at ddickerson@nmma.org or 202-737-9761. There is going to be a fight so it's important that our side has as much amunition as possible.
Old 10-30-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
That's right. I am a resident of South Florida. And I do not want to see any of your junky boats anchored off my view... unless it is over 2 million dollars. Come on? Someone mentioned a million dollars? Please!! That's nothing but a fancy Sea Ray!!

HAHA

In all reality, it really is a crock. Although, I will say that in some areas, the land under the water is actually owned. I CAN see how they could run you off of private property. You have to wonder how long, with 300 million people now, until anchoring is a thing of the past... versus paying for a morring ball or in a marina. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Still, I have not had a real problem with that. But my Catalina 400 costs over 2 million dollars... if anyone asks.
Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CruisingDad-

You must have gotten the all titanium hardware on your Catalina... along with the platinum trimmed interior.

Doesn't Federal law have something to say about navigation and anchoring in navigable waters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-30-2006

Insails is on a distinguished road
Now since the cruising community is pretty tight,why dont we just report here when a complaint happens and we can all anchor there the next day)..Imagine when the complainer wakes up and see's 1000 good ole boats anchored behind his house).I bet the complainer wont complain again!
Old 10-30-2006

I'll take that bet.

...and your money.