Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
And Perrier is made in France by two old farts filling bottles in their bathroom!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
. Particles of camel dung have been detected in rainwater in the carribean.
If I were to use my big tarp to collect rain, what's the best way to filter out bacteria BEFORE directing it into the tanks? Obviously it cannot be boiled, and whatever filter system is used, it would need a pretty good flow-through capability for it to be practical.

I use a Spectra watermaker, but would like to avoid amp-usage whenever possible. I suppose one could fill jerricans, and filter as it's being used.
Old 12-13-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Giuliette you're not supposed to know that about Perrier, but there is hope assuming you have not already consumed to much and irrepairable damage has not already occurred, but I fear the worse. You must cease imediately consuming camel dung laden water - Portugal being one of the countries most affected by the scurge and also give up on Perrier. You must switch immediately to Desante or other bottled tap water.
Old 12-13-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jonsey...not at my gas station!
Old 12-24-2006

felician is on a distinguished road
Post Marry Christmas !!!

Hi dude!
Christmas Day falls on December 25. It is preceded by Christmas Eve on December 24, and in some countries is followed by Boxing Day on December 26. Some Eastern Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas on January 7, which corresponds to December 25 on the Julian calendar. December 25 as a birthdate for Jesus is merely traditional, and is not thought to be his actual date of birth.Good luck!
Old 12-24-2006

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Seems a lot of people use way more water than I do. On my last sail which lasted about 4 weeks I used about 1.5 containers (about 11 gallons) of tap water, another 8 gallons of distilled "drinking water" from the grocery store, and various juices and 6 lemon lime sparkle waters which came in 2 liter bottles. The tap water I used for washing, I had a steel bowl I got at walmart and that's what I used to wash my hair in the cockpit and also to wash with a rag. I also used tap water for washing eating bowls, silver, and the pressure cooker. The distilled water was used for cooking in the pressure cooker, making tea, hot chocolate, drinking straight up, etc, anything I consumed. And the sparkle waters and juice was of course consumed straight up.

So including juice and everything, I would say I consumed about .. what does all that add up to, let's call it 30 gallons on the high side, or about 8 gallons a week, about a gallon a day let's say. In that month I also took I guess about 3 showers on land, I went to the laundromat twice, and I drank beverages at various restaurants and things on land. I would have used more water had I not done that, especially if I had to wash clothing on the boat which I never had to do because I had plenty of clothing with me. I never had to bring water to the boat because I had about twice as much on board as I used during that time, so I could have gone another month without needing to bring water on to the boat. If I wasn't near land I would have carried much more water than I did. I was nearing the time that I would have had to resupply on juice and things though, because I did run out of juice and I drank all of the sparkle waters ... I really like lemon lime sparkle water.

I cannot imagine the luxury of using 40 or 50 gallons a week, nor the trauma of having to carry all that water to the boat in a dinghy, which is how I transported everything including fuel. I had a tank on board that would hold water but I never filled it up, in fact I've never used it before, I was thinking of removing it so I'd have more storage space. I like smaller individual containers because it decreases the chance they will get punctured and it also seems to limit my water usage when I have to account for it in a more signifcant way than just turning a knob or working a hand pump. Smaller containers also pack really well, and are easier to transport on the dinghy. I don't like to handle containers larger than 7 gallons.

I understand my lifestyle wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, I single hand, and I am more of a camper/explorer type than I am a cruiser/boat owner. I intentionally keep my desires for comfort in check to expand my options and maximize opportunities. I'm not so much a "cruiser" as I am a hiker, camper, and biker who just happens to be on a boat. I'm used to doing without. And I haven't wanted to get used to things like spending time at marinas because my future plans don't include marinas and I don't want to suffer the loss later.
Old 12-30-2006

sandraissa is on a distinguished road
Post new 2007 - !

Happy new year !-!
o))))
Old 12-30-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Wind Magic,
I use the number of 1/2 a gallon of water a day per man. The longest passage so far has been 59 days Rhode Island to England and that number has worked out so far for water use. I also carry soda and tined Progresso soup and that adds to the liquids on board. Salt water is used for everything possible. How long does bread keep on your boat? I like to have sandwiches but tined bread doesn’t make good sandwiches.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 01-10-2007

Scott222 is on a distinguished road
Buy the biggest watermaker you can. They are not all created equal. Do your research. Its the single biggest issue afloat...ours was too small and we regreted it...after the USA water can be tough to find and when you find it, it can make you sick. You will be more free and independent with a really good watermaker...so get over not wanting the maintenance.
Old 01-11-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Cool

I use beer as a backup