Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
BVI Paper charts

I'm looking into investing in a full set of paper charts for the BVI and local islands east & south. There are a number of charts available out there and I wanted to get opinions on which ones are generally considered the best ones for sailing use.

I know of NOAA, British Admiralty and Imray charts, but I'm sure there are others.

Last edited by Zanshin; 10-16-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well...the Maptech Chartbook covers PR/ The Spanish Virgins and the US and BVI's extremely well. Once you head south from the Virgins the CYC chart Kits (distributed by Maptech) are the best and least expensive options and they include the waypoints from the dolyle cruising guides to the Windwards and Leewards.
The only area with poor mapping coverage is the passage from the Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic and from the DR across the Mona to PR. For these I would suggest the Pavlidas guide to the Turks and Caicos which has sketch charts and excellent planning advice for the landfall in Luperon,DR. The WAVY LINE chart is the best DR chart but it is not great. You may want to supplement it with Bruce VanSants "A gentlemans guide to passages south" which provides numerous sketch charts of the DR north and west coast with waypoints to use.
BTW... you might find some of the guides on Amazon but a good source for ALL of the above is at www.bluewaterweb.com AND they have knowlegeable people working there that actually seem to enjoy helping customers! No connection ...just one of my favorite stores.
Old 10-18-2006

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. Does that mean that you don't consider the British Admiralty charts to be amongst the better ones?
Old 10-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zan...no...they are fine but of ALL the charts I own for ANYWHERE the CYC's are works of art and CURRENT and give you all the detail you need for the many harbors. Since the Doyle guides which are the best for the Windwards and Leewards have their waypoints printed on the charts they also take a step out of navigation chores. At about $60 per kit...they are hard to beat. I'm keeping mine to use as wallpaper when we go ashore for good!!

Last edited by camaraderie; 10-18-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.