Join Date: Nov 2006
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Kevin, I'm in the middle of a similar situation to yours. We bought our boat a little ahead of schedule and are still working, but plan to have the boat south outside of the hurricane season. We decided to put the boat in the Chesapeake, but initially in Virginia for tax purposes. The state tax for boats tops out at $2,000, and that saved us heaps of cash over keeping it in Maryland where we bought her. The Hampton/Portsmouth area offers the added benefit of having virtually no personal property tax on boats.
As others have said, we liked the idea of having the boat in the Chesapeake to get used to her and get ready for more extended cruising. Our plan is to spend next year cruising the Chessie, then head down to Florida next fall, and if we're ready also the Bahamas. Back up to the Chesapeake in spring of 08. The Caribbean would be the next step, and we're already talking into 09 in the plan.
We certainly looked at the draft issue with this plan, and I'd agree with the concerns others have expressed on your draft if you're going to do the ICW/Bahamas/Florida keys.
My .02 from someone executing a similar plan.