Is it really a dream come true? - SailNet Community
 144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter

Is it really a dream come true?

Like many of you , since I have been young I had a dream to sail the seven seas chase the sun and the wind, but I wonder, after YOU took the big steps,with some of you quitting jobs, maybe even selling your home , does sailing day after day , month after month, year after year is REALLY a dream come true? or ,if asking it a bit different: is it STILL a dream come true after the honeymoon period ended, ? in hindsight, is it as you imagined it to be? do you have any regrets ? would you have done anything differently?
Thanks for your honest reply from far away, Down Under.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 02-24-2016

Re: Is it really a dream come true?

Several years as a full time liveaboard, and we still cherish the experience. It was an adventure, and included tons of things happening. Some trying, some exciting, some painful - but it was LIVING, not dying a day at a time as many of us are doing.

Different every day, some times several times a day. Don't like the current view, sail an hour or so, and different perspective on everything. Don't like the (insert word here), raise the sails and move along.

I would have started earlier, by a couple of decades, even with a smaller, less capable boat. Especially now, that you can buy a kindle and an iPod and have the best of technology, with no damage to the books/cds/tapes and the like.
jerryrlitton, rnixon and DounUnder like this.
post #3 of 67 Old 02-24-2016
MikeGuyver

You'll get a different opinion from every member, we may agree on some things, but not all.
I, for one, after 4 years aboard, find myself wondering occasionally what the hell am I doing here. But, it doesn't last long and then I wake up and find myself in my version of heaven on earth.
I have never in my 65 years on earth seen any group of people as wonderful and diverse as sailors. This has been a mind expanding experience.
If you find the right bride, the honeymoon will never end.

post #4 of 67 Old 02-24-2016
Boat Bum

I've been at it for 8 years now and it's a great life for me.
Theres always something to do, fishing, reading, sailing, fixing the damn boat, drinking with my friends, kayaking, fixing the damn boat..........
The traveling is nice even though I'm not a "real" cruiser. If you have portable hobbies you'll never be bored and if you are then you've got time to fix the damn boat

No wife, no kids, no debt.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Mandelon (06-03-2016)
post #5 of 67 Old 02-24-2016
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
..... If you have portable hobbies you'll never be bored and if you are then you've got time to fix the damn boat
I have difficulty getting through a single chapter in (even a good) book when I'm sitting on deck... too many things to observe, notice, admire..

We have been sailing since 1981. We don't liveaboard/cruise full time but we have spent up to 8 weeks at a time onboard for the past 12 summers. Every time we depart we think we'll come back early to take in some 'city summer' stuff.. hasn't happened yet.
Atlas, mbianka and DounUnder like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 67 Old 02-24-2016

Do it now - don't wait till you are too damned old, like I did. My sailing adventures didn't begin until 8 years ago, and now, at age 75, health issues are plaguing me, which may curtail my ability to sail more than another year or two.

All the best,

Gary
post #7 of 67 Old 02-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Do it now - don't wait till you are too damned old, like I did. My sailing adventures didn't begin until 8 years ago, and now, at age 75, health issues are plaguing me, which may curtail my ability to sail more than another year or two.

All the best,

Gary
As someone who has always looked at the boats in the harbor and said I'm going to do that as soon as "the time is right". I'm now retired and have the money to do it but may no longer have the health. If you wait till the time is right the window may pass you by.
uncle stinky bob and snokid like this.
post #8 of 67 Old 02-25-2016

These look like they stopped adding new stories a few years ago, but I used to like reading them. You'll note, if you scan through them, most return to shore after a handful of years. That's not to say they didn't love every minute, only that it doesn't typically last forever.

The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project
Livia, mbianka and DounUnder like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 67 Old 02-25-2016

Unless you try living your dream, you will never know. I'm 2 years away from casting off. Want to do it before I turn 60. Will not have too much money, but enough for a decent 30 foot boat and several years of frugal cruising. Regardless of how much money I do have at the time, I will not delay, even if I have to get a smaller boat and live on rice and beans for the next 5 years. And if it does not work out, I will adjust, as always. Have no fear.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 67 Old 02-25-2016

I just got home from plowing slushy miserable snow all night.
Casting off when this last big plowing contract is done.
Summer time it's humping granite or limestone up scaffolding to build chimneys and fireplaces.
Anything has to be an improvement!
If I get fed up of sailing I'll come back to Canada and buy another house on one of the coasts. Will never move back to the area I'm in now, would move anyway if I wasn't going sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.