Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006

haukebo is on a distinguished road
to Cruisingdad

Phenergan suppositories will melt in the tropical heat, and my wife hates having to look at a suppository sitting next to her food...so I carry a couple single dose vials of injectable Phenergan. It also works well for migraines which my wife is prone to, but it is VERY sedating for some people.

I like powdered liquid forms of antibiotics for several reasons: With a 6 year old boy aboard, I can adjust the correct dose easier for a child than if I had to try to break a tablet. Also, tablets can often start to fall apart in the humidity. If you bring tablets, have them in "blister packs" or in the factory sealed container. Once you open it, the tablets may degrade rather quickly so you're better off having several smaller quantities than one big stock bottle of 100 tablets.

Amoxicillin is cheap and pretty safe, but because it is so popular, there is alot of resistance to it. At home I prescribe it all the time, knowing that maybe 10 or 15 percent of the time a sinus infection or ear infection might be resistant to it.
Vancomycin is not absorbed orally, so cannot be used in tablet form except for a few types of bowel infections. As an injectable, the dosing is tricky and can cause kidney damage, so it is not appropriate for use on a sailboat where you cant do lab tests.
Azithromycin is a great choice for most respiratory infections: ear infections, bronchitis, or even pneumonia. It is sometimes OK for skin infections, but probably not urinary infections.
The reason I suggested levofloxacin is that it generally covers all of the above common infections. Only problem is that it's not recommended in children, so for my son, I bring along alternatives. It is also fairly expensive compared to the generic antibiotics, but I think worth the cost to be able to carry only one medication that treats so many infections effectively.

If you are under 45 or so and not otherwise at high risk for heart disease, I'd probably skip the Nitroglycerine for exactly the reason you describe: it loses effectiveness rapidly. If you need to carry it, ask about Nitrospray. You can get it in a little spray bottle that you just squirt under your patient's tongue and it has a little better shelf life, I think.

Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Percocet (oxycodone) are pretty equal in my mind in terms of pain relief and addictive potential. I got very nauseated once from oxycodone when I had a cervical strain so that's the only reason I choose Vicodin. But Percocet is ranked slightly higher in addictive potential by the DEA, so prescribing laws are slightly tighter (you can't phone in a refill to a pharmacy, for example, while you can for Vicodin) So that might be another plus for Vicodin.

Whew, this is starting to feel like I'm taking a board exam again. Hope that helps and may you never need to use any of this stuff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Thank you

Thank you for your time. Enjoyed the conversation. You are right about the supposit - we kept them in the fridge. Very nice of you to share your thoughts.

Fair winds.

- CD
Old 10-29-2006

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The outfit where you did your marine medic course has a good kit, and can forward it to you when you actually have a boat, as supplies for a yacht in transit. This has the advantage of the drugs being what you were trained on. If you have a separate minor kit, you may never open the major one. If you did have a major incident at some point, I have no doubt you could worry about replenishment then, quite probably using your own kit supplier. At this point that is a distant concern.
Old 11-01-2006

regt2000 is on a distinguished road
phenergan

Another good reason for using injectable Phenergan (or Compazine) is that suppositories aren't much use when your nausea is accompanied by diarrhea. Gastroenteritis is not that uncommon, especially when traveling outside the U.S. (Mexico, Central America, etc.) With the nasty noro-viruses ("Norwalk virus" that has been a problem on cruise ships) showing up more frequently, suppositories are useless. We had a run of it through several wards at the VA Medical Center I work at in Oregon, and I can promise you that retention of a suppository can be impossible when you are battling a noro-virus.
Old 01-07-2007

Kuhntar is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to get other prescription meds in the Caribbean. In my case I have to take sotalol. I had thought that I could just buy enough for 6 months and take as usual. I never thought that the pills would disintegrate. Would someone still have problems if the kept the pills in the fridge?
Old 01-08-2007

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
We've found Meds in the Caribbean a fraction of the USA Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhntar
Is it possible to get other prescription meds in the Caribbean. In my case I have to take sotalol. I had thought that I could just buy enough for 6 months and take as usual. I never thought that the pills would disintegrate. Would someone still have problems if the kept the pills in the fridge?
We've found Meds in the Caribbean a fraction of the USA Cost.
This also includes dentist and doctors fees. The care is first rate!
Old 06-29-2007

BstCrdtCrds is on a distinguished road
Post I need an advice!

Good Day! To use credit cards or cash is the own choice of everyone. For me it is more convenient to purchase and travel with credit cards. I carry cash very seldom because today credit cards are available almost everywhere. I am going to Spain this vacation and yesterday applied for a new credit card at

fica score for american express platinum >fica score for american express platinum

guaranteed car loan while in chapter 13

unsecured mastercard guaranteed approval

loan consolidation 0% apr
Old 06-29-2007
Tayanaless

MikeStott is on a distinguished road
The one thing which I would definately take in your medical kit, is something to plug the hole if you have old fillings. I was given a small pot of something called "Cavitt G" (I think, it was a while ago now) by my Dentist before leaving the UK. Having taken a beating in mid Adlantic a couple of years later by a the tail end of a kindly hurricane, one of my teeth cracked and most of one of my old fillings fell out. Painfull is one word (others were used at the time though). I used the Cavitt G to pack into the offending hole and with the help of some Asprin, all was well after a few hours.
Once back in the UK, my dentist was pretty impressed with the job I'd done. Although I think he was more impressed by what he charged me.

But whatever you take in your kit.....don't forget those teeth.
Although it'd probably have been cheaper to have them all removed and dentures made! THINK about it!
Old 06-29-2007
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Getting back to the topic, it would probably be easist and cheapest to bring a few essentials with you like antibiotics and painkillers, then wait till you leave the US before you stock your first aid kit. The US medical and pharmeceutical systems have been twisted and broken by greedy people,and you should avoid them like the plague.

A few examples:

We get our Lipitor from NZ at less than half of the cost in the US.

A US doctor will charge you a minimum of $250 to see you for 15 minutes and write prescriptions for many drugs which you can get outside the US without prescriptions.

Pharmeceuticals in some lower income contries are subsidized and the price is controlled by the government.

The other issue you will end up dealing with is when to replace expired medicines. The written rules are usually every three years, but most things (with the exception of the tetracycline family) will last a lot longer.
Old 06-29-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
Also wanted to point out that meds usually are good for much longer than 1 year. You don't need to throw out and buy new meds just because they say they expire after one year. They may slowly loose efficiency over time but don't "go bad" or anything.

Keep in mind that phenergen is very likely to cause at least some degree of somnolence. It pretty much knocks me out good for about 12 hours....