Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
My first delivery -- advice please!

Other than the obvious fact that you’re going to be on someone else’s boat without the owner present, trying to get it to a specific destination, what makes a delivery different than any other passage?

Folks who’ve paid someone to deliver their boat: what do you wish the skipper and crew had or hadn’t done? Folks who are prof. skippers: what do you wish someone had warned you before you took off the first time?

Next month I have my first opportunity to be part of a delivery crew, helping to get a Valiant 40/42 across the Caribbean. I’m confident that I know what to expect of the passage itself – uh, as much as one ever *can* when going offshore. That is, I’ve been out of sight of land, sailed a variety of boats this size range (including another Valiant), bedded down in a strange sea berth surrounded by people I don’t know well, sailed in the Caribbean, sailed at night, I trust our skipper, etc etc … but if you know anything unique about the “delivery” aspect, I’d welcome some input. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't let the fact that it is a delivery force you to sail in conditions you think aren't safe. Sailing to a schedule is a bad idea as a general rule. A lot of times, a delivery captain is interested in making his delivery deadline, and not whether the conditions for making a passage are safe.

Also, get to the boat as early as you can and familiarize yourself with all of the systems as much as possible. Knowing where the throughhulls and various switches for different systems is key, especially in an emergency, when panic is about to set in.

Also, make sure you know where the various emergency equipment is stored on the boat... lifejackets, flares, epirb, liferaft, fire extinguishers... etc. You probably won't need them, but if you do...and don't know where they are...it's a serious problem.

One of my friends, who does a lot of deliveries, brings a small backpack that has his personal gear, that he won't sail without, including his harness, tether, PFD, binoculars, hand-bearing compass, flashlight, sunblock, sunglasses, and such. Not a bad idea, I do much the same myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2006
M2 - 33.5 Hunter

jgaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jgaddis
How does one get into being crew on a dellivery boat? I'd like to try that.
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Helps to know delivery captains, and also to have a STCW95. Having a USCG OUPV isn't a bad thing either... but not really necessary.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-26-2006
M2 - 33.5 Hunter

jgaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jgaddis
Great, thanks sailingdog.
Old 10-26-2006
Banned

Thanx, S-dog. Funny, I wouldn't think of trusting a harness/PFD other than my own, but hadn't given thought to handheld GPS and binocs. I agree and HATE the thought of sailing to a schedule; we've allowed ourselves 2-1/2 weeks for a 6-day passage and hoping that's enough.

jgadddis: In this case it was knowing the skipper that was the ticket ... but you may be advised to peruse 'crew wanted' forums here at sailnet and other sites.
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

Anytime... Having gear that you know and trust implicitly makes sailing a strange boat a lot simpler and more comfortable. An extreme example is a MOB situation...would you know how to get the boat's GPS to mark the MOB location? Probably not easily...how about on your own handheld... pretty simple...since it is what you're used to....

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-26-2006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Anytime... Having gear that you know and trust implicitly makes sailing a strange boat a lot simpler and more comfortable. An extreme example is a MOB situation...would you know how to get the boat's GPS to mark the MOB location? Probably not easily...how about on your own handheld... pretty simple...since it is what you're used to....
OMG S-dog, the example you picked is one of the factors that contributed to the drowning of the guy delivering the boat with the skipper we know...they circled back to get him, missed on the first pass, and when they circled back and couldn't see him, discovered that the GPS hadn't marked to MOB position because no one knew that you had to hold the button down for 5-10 seconds! There were other factors on this proverbial dark and stormy night, but this was one ... thanx for the warning!
Old 10-26-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Eryka,

IMHO, you're triply blessed:

1. You get to go sailing in the Caribbean;
2. You get to sail a Valiant 40/42...great boat; and
3. The owner won't be aboard!

I have a friend/delivery skipper who charges EXTRA if the owner accompanies. This policy comes from many years experience proving that the owner is frequently a complicating factor :-))

Have fun!

Bill
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

Glad to help Eryka... Have fun and send me a post card.. I'll send you my snailmail address off line.

Telstar 28
New England