The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials - Page 20 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
I've not seen an extended warranty like that for boats. Good on ya if you can make that work! Just for kicks, feel like posting the terms of the extended warranty? I'm just shocked to hear that a boat manufacturer would agree to warrant things like batteries, water pumps, lights, engines, windlass, roller furling, etc. for a 5 year period. Most of that stuff is not even built by the manufacturer, so I'm really surprised to hear that Hunter would warrant, for instance, a Jabsco head. Very cool for you if they actually did that.

And as to the second point you quoted, sitting in a bar swapping tales with tourists might be my favorite pasttime.
My issue is that I don't care if it is a 5000 year warranty. It is only as good as its ability to be used. Alternators do not go out at the dock... period. You are lucky if they go out in VHF range. Same with water pumps and many other pieces of gear on the boat. That is my hangup.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've not seen an extended warranty like that for boats. Good on ya if you can make that work! Just for kicks, feel like posting the terms of the extended warranty? I'm just shocked to hear that a boat manufacturer would agree to warrant things like batteries, water pumps, lights, engines, windlass, roller furling, etc. for a 5 year period. Most of that stuff is not even built by the manufacturer, so I'm really surprised to hear that Hunter would warrant, for instance, a Jabsco head. Very cool for you if they actually did that.
Dan,
Here is a bit from the Hunter site, so of course, it is biased
Quote:
The Best Warranty in Sailing

Our 5 year Hull structure and blister warranty covers the true cost of repairs and is NOT pro-rated like some warranties. It’s also transferable upon resale helping to preserve the value of your investment. Hunter is the ONLY sailboat builder to offer a 5 year extended warranty that covers things like refrigeration, electronics, air conditioning systems and key engine components. You won’t find a more comprehensive new boat warranty in the business.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 03-16-2009
Banned

SailorGregS is on a distinguished road
In your quest to attain the wealth that is needed to cruise, has anyone bothered to make a nice 30% profit in the last 5 days on a tip I provided.

Last week it eluded to the fact that MFC would be a nice investment, even if you only took advice for 5 days and parked $100k into it you would have made $30k (less fees). ARC and PGH, are two others that have given 11% more into my accounts. The last 5 days, there's a nice easy $50k. If they move down by 5% they are sold - automatic decision.

The cost of cruising is variable for many reasons, but building liquid wealth does help alleviate the concerns.
Old 03-16-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My issue is that I don't care if it is a 5000 year warranty. It is only as good as its ability to be used. Alternators do not go out at the dock... period. You are lucky if they go out in VHF range. Same with water pumps and many other pieces of gear on the boat. That is my hangup.
Brian,
To assist with my response, I offer the following from the Hunter site:

Quote:
Extensive Dealer Network

No matter where in the world you decide to purchase and cruise your Hunter sailboat, our extensive dealer network is trained to be responsive to your needs. An exclusive dealer intranet is in place to keep us in constant communication with them. Whether you need a small part sent or a large question answered, we are always online. As we continue to expand both our product line and distribution channels, you can be sure we will be there for you.
And I'll agree with you that things have a habit of going awry in the most inconvenient of places. However, I've heard many examples of Hunter's support, such as having a new Balmar alternator flown to the Galapagos to replace a defective one.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 03-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Parts failures:

This is certainly not meant to be a testimonial to anything and everything that can happen as a LA/cruiser, but here are my lists of failures as I remember them:

Starter
Alternator
Charger (which took the batteries with it)
Head failure (due to my son and a matchbox car)
Water Pump
Bilge Pump(s)
Lights (running light bulb)
Chartplotter (twice)

How many of those things would have failed at the dock?

Starter, maybe the charger, maybe the bilge pump. The rest would be items you better have a backup part or system for.

What failures have you guys seen? What do you carry as spares? And would a warranty even be worth anything?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Michael,

Don't get me wrong. I am on Sea Mist IV. I have owned 6 boats altogether, with only one being used. I BUY NEW TOO!!

I am not beating up the warranty. Better to have it then not... but I doubt I would pay any extra for it if you are going to go cruising. That also brings up the concern that since almost everything on the boat ius 12 months, with some items being 24 month warranties, Hunter is carrying the note and eating the rest of those costs. Since they have to make money, they are simply passing that cost to you in one way or another.

When my chartplotter failed, I replaced it the second time. The first time, Catalina ended up sending out a Raytheon (I believe it was Raytheon nd not Raymarine at that time) certified tech. Didn't do me a crappin' bit of good offshore though. You are going to go without until you get to port. Luckily we were coming into Ft. Myers Beach at the time. The alternator went out at sea. My starter hung open and smoked itself on my 400 WELL away from the marina and I ended up pushing myself back in.

My point in all of this is that the warranty sounds good, but the reality is that if you are cruising, it doesn't add up to much. Especially when you are dealing with island time. And since you have to buy a spare for EVERYTHING anyways, there is NO WAY I would pay extra for it.

The exception is major system failures - like the hull and engine. Those are very expensive and you flat WILL have to find a major port for reparis. However, the hull is 5 years on every major mfg that I know of and the engine is 24 months IIRC. On another note, I have found the diesels on boats pretty bullet proof. It is the peripherals (starter, alternator, etc) that are the issues.

I know you have truck loads of offshore experience Michael. I am not doubting you. I am simply asking how much weight you REALLY put into that warranty as a cruiser?? I simply don't put much into it. I certainly am not going to sit around for Catalina to fix my tub when I have things to do and places to go.

Thoughts?

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-16-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Parts failures:

This is certainly not meant to be a testimonial to anything and everything that can happen as a LA/cruiser, but here are my lists of failures as I remember them:

Starter
Alternator
Charger (which took the batteries with it)
Head failure (due to my son and a matchbox car)
Water Pump
Bilge Pump(s)
Lights (running light bulb)
Chartplotter (twice)

How many of those things would have failed at the dock?

Starter, maybe the charger, maybe the bilge pump. The rest would be items you better have a backup part or system for.

What failures have you guys seen? What do you carry as spares? And would a warranty even be worth anything?

Brian
Um, well, uh, gee, you know, well, how do you say politely ... you did buy a Catalina after all, so I'm not sure what you expected.

Old 03-16-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
Dan,
Here is a bit from the Hunter site, so of course, it is biased
That's great stuff. I didn't realize that.

I hear CD's point loud and clear, but I have to say, if I had that option, I would have taken it (depending on the price I suppose). True, if you're halfway to Bermuda and something breaks you're not getting it fixed until you get there. But once there, I'd much rather have the manufacturer pick up the tab. Presumably that warranty covers labor too, but even if it doesn't and covers parts only (and this goes to the price they want for the extended coverage), that still might be worth it. A new fridge/alternator/electric head, etc. ain't cheap. And that's not to mention that if you're coastal cruising, particularly along the U.S. east coast, that kind of warranty would be of serious value. Good for Hunter; that really is an advancement in customer service/relations that I would like to see all builders follow.

Old 03-16-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
... I hear CD's point loud and clear, but I have to say, if I had that option, I would have taken it (depending on the price I suppose). True, if you're halfway to Bermuda and something breaks you're not getting it fixed until you get there. But once there, I'd much rather have the manufacturer pick up the tab. .... And that's not to mention that if you're coastal cruising, particularly along the U.S. east coast, that kind of warranty would be of serious value. Good for Hunter; that really is an advancement in customer service/relations that I would like to see all builders follow.
I also hear CD's point loud and clear, which is exactly why I have laid-in (or will have by the time we leave in August) an extensive array of spares, and why my starboard aft cabin has been fitted with a serious work bench and will be a well-equipped floating repair and maintenance facility.

There are thirty-five Hunter dealers outside of North America, conveniently dispersed across the globe. For instance, in May-June next year we plan on being in Santiago, Chile, where we'll spend time with the Hunter dealer there, addressing any issues and arisings and doing annual maintenance routines, before heading into Patagonia for a six-month exploration. The following year, depending on where we decide to head after exploring down the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, we can do our annual haul-out with the Hunter dealer in Montevideo or in Durban.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 03-16-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Michael,
... I am not beating up the warranty. Better to have it then not... but I doubt I would pay any extra for it if you are going to go cruising. That also brings up the concern that since almost everything on the boat ius 12 months, with some items being 24 month warranties, Hunter is carrying the note and eating the rest of those costs. Since they have to make money, they are simply passing that cost to you in one way or another.
Yes, they pass on the cost as the price of the warranty. I forget how much it was, but I thought it very reasonable for the additional 3 to 4 year coverage beyond the warranties on the individual components.

Quote:
My point in all of this is that the warranty sounds good, but the reality is that if you are cruising, it doesn't add up to much. Especially when you are dealing with island time. And since you have to buy a spare for EVERYTHING anyways, there is NO WAY I would pay extra for it.
As I said up-thread:
Quote:
I also hear {your} point loud and clear, which is exactly why I have laid-in (or will have by the time we leave in August) an extensive array of spares, and why my starboard aft cabin has been fitted with a serious work bench and will be a well-equipped floating repair and maintenance facility.
Quote:
... I am simply asking how much weight you REALLY put into that warranty as a cruiser?? I simply don't put much into it. I certainly am not going to sit around for Catalina to fix my tub when I have things to do and places to go.

Thoughts?

Brian
Nor an I going to sit around for Catalina to fix my tub when I have things to do and places to go; I'm planning on replacing from my spares or repairing using my workshop, and then continuing on to the next port with a Hunter dealer and let the Hunter network sort it out.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje