The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials - Page 21 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGregS View Post
The cost of cruising is variable for many reasons, but building liquid wealth does help alleviate the concerns.
SailorGregS, you are invited to make your way on over to Off Topic and the Market Crash thread, lots of lively discussion there about trading, the economy, etc, you will be very welcome there.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2009

DalesStar is on a distinguished road
Well first I have to say that Jim Trefethen's book is "his way". I like all the anti-Pardey's views (ie the other side of the coin), it just suggests that there are more than one way to do anything.
Second, the first 2 pages of Chapter 8 "Life aboard" made me laugh for 10 minutes. That's what sent me on this quest. I'm sure everyone has been in that situation at least one time, but his recount of it was great.
I've been a Thoreau follower since I was in the Marines. Seem a bit ironic to my Capitan that I was reading Civil Disobedience and Walden Pond. I went hitching around the states before the Marines. My friend and I were gone for 4 months. Starting from Seattle, going to Wisc., to LA then back to Seattle, Anyway, when we got back it was like we went through a time warp. Everyone was on a different pace than we were. We weren't into time, or our pace changed.
Again, anyway, I'm working on restoring a 1974 33' Morgan OI, refit everything. I'll be finishing it up this winter. My wife and I plan to take off and hopefully find that slow pace again.
I appreciate all of what this forum has to offer and the ability for everyone to share their opinions and experiences. Thank you
Dale
Old 11-19-2009

piratessoul is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm new on here and I have to admit I didn't read every page of this thread but, I'd like to comment on a couple of points.

Security and control.

These were mentioned several times and I'd just like to say that these are relative terms. Life is just a ball that we have no choice in attending. We choose partners and dance to the music that is playing. If we can't follow the melody we sit it out, and anxiously await the next one, or we jump in and take the chance of looking like a fool.

We cannot control the winds of life. We can only adjust our sails. Sometimes our destinations change, due to a berage of un-cooperative weather, and we end up in a situation that seems unsecure and out of control. That is, until that melody becomes familiar.

One thing is for certain; the ball will end. Dance every dance!
Old 08-30-2010

chadmadsen is on a distinguished road
As a new sailor, I can say that I appreciate the breadth and width of this post. Both on topic and off. It has been very informative for a rookie standpoint, with boat purchase and other topics. Thank you for a very good/long/poignant thread.
Old 09-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
I don't know how people live the suburbia life.. I suppose if I were very wealthy I could have a different opinion on it. I just want to get up around 25-30K on the max end for a boat and refitting and another 10-20K in the bank and just go. Set sail, leave for the horizon, stop trying to find life and let life find me.
Old 10-11-2010
Arrgh!

u4ea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
I don't know how people live the suburbia life.. I suppose if I were very wealthy I could have a different opinion on it. I just want to get up around 25-30K on the max end for a boat and refitting and another 10-20K in the bank and just go. Set sail, leave for the horizon, stop trying to find life and let life find me.
A reasonable way to do it. You will have lots of compatriots! As many "out there" have said, your budget is whatever you've got. And there is nothing about leaving the marina for the ocean that requires that you never earn any more money. Its not hard to earn as you go.