The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006

sturmkatze is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sturmkatze Send a message via Yahoo to sturmkatze
Thanks ianhlnd! That was a pretty good reply. I don't hate Canadians (okay, maybe Qubec...), but I don't feel they're God's gift to the world either. Anyway, how did this become so political? I'd rather hear about cruising than how my country is the root of evyil int he Western Hemisphere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Back to the question of financing your cruising....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider
I'm from Canada,.... If you have a average to good education, then your dual income jobs should net you at least $150,000 per year (as a couple).
OK, those must be Canadian dollars. True I've been out of the job market for a while, but it's hard for me to imagine a typcial 25-year old, even with a good college education, making $75K per year -- I mean that's about what I'm making after 5+years of graduate school and 15 years experience as a professional! I must be in the wrong field....
Old 12-01-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cat...Yah...that is pretty optimistic income...only 20% of US families earn more than 90K and top 5% is 166K so you have to be pretty elite to pull down $150K as a couple. Nevertheless... it is better to dream and plan and fall a bit short than to never plan at all and fail utterly as most do. When you have some bucks in the bank at least you have the option to modify your plan rather than be a paycheck slave till ya can't sail anymore!

Ian...great response! No one likes the situation we're in in IRAQ but I love how the rest of the world takes great pleasure in bashing us while we carry their water. Just look at Darfur to see how the rest of the world lives up to their responsibilities as human beings.
Old 12-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Back at the financial side of things, though this is only a two week sample, my living costs where $79.00 for thre nights at marinas, $45.00 for diesel, and $10.00 for supplies I replaced. This was with motoring everyday, all day, and staying at marinas for lack of an anchorage on the ditch.

I expect my marina and fuel costs to go down, and my supply costs to go up, once I get to Florida. Even so, they were still well within my planned budget of $500.00 a month. I did though, have extrodinary expenses of almost $900.00 of which $600.00 would have been unnecessary except for my overlooking I had not joined a tow service before leaving.

Just a small snapshot, but I believe it will pretty well hold when I'm out for longer periods of time.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2006

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider
If there's a place where a political discussion can take place let me know, and I educate you there in the evening or the weekend.
Waverider - When you offer to "educate" someone, it doesn't sound like you are entering the conversation with an open mind, but for what it's worth -From the Economist Magazine's "World in Figures" the US GDP per head is $37,240, and Canada 's is $27,290. The economic growth rate in the US exceeded Canada's last year (2005), 3.6% for the US and 2.9% for Canada.

Let's all go sailing!
Old 12-01-2006

Jujuca is on a distinguished road
Now I know why Canadians are allways pissed off!!

Canada could have had American Technology, English Education, and French cuisine, but ended up with American Education, English cuisine and..... French Technology!!!!

No wonder.....
Old 12-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps this explains why so many Canadians go to the US when they really need a doctor? (Sorry, couldn't resist that one)

Thing is though, what does all this chest thumping have to do with the topic?

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-01-2006

lhunt is on a distinguished road
so many of us dream but few actually have the spine to get off our buts a really do the cruisiing even if it is for a few months. most of us get stuck in the security of the job and home. sad but true. Dreamer
Old 12-01-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhunt
so many of us dream but few actually have the spine to get off our buts a really do the cruisiing even if it is for a few months. most of us get stuck in the security of the job and home. sad but true. Dreamer
You're right.

I still like Don Casey's and Lew Hackler's argument: if you are serious about cruising, then go cruising, this weekend and every weekend you can, even if your boat is tiny and your lake or river is small. The overnighters may become weekends, which may become weeks or even months or years of cruising. Or not. Either way, waiting for "the day" doesn't make sense.

Every trip counts, no matter how small. The important part is that they happen.

Thanks for the post.

Jim H

p.s. I agree with John that the country comparison exchange should likely move to the Fight Club thread.

Last edited by Jim H; 12-01-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H

Every trip counts, no matter how small. The important part is that they happen.
Well said!

JCP

- Website & Blog