The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
waverider

(I apologize in advance for the many misspellings & the multiple postings. I wanted to make sure that he got it, though...)

Waverider,

I am amazed. I am really amazed at some of the the things you have said. Why do you say things like that?

It is obvious to me that you have the maturity level of someone about 15 years old. I have not cruised as much as many people on this forum, but quite a bit. The one common theme we all have had is the ability to get together and have fun. We don't see nationalities or scream about George Bush, or whatever. I love my country. It does have problems, many of them. But let me tell you one thing about the typical AMerican you so quickly have addressed as worthless & uneducated, we care for people and we try to do the right thing. THe right thing does not always turn out correctly. The right thing is not always easy. But better to try and fail than never to try at all. Right now, as we speak, there are Americans losing their lives or being seriously wounded in a country that is not theirs, for a people that I am not sure even care about them (or each other). To even insinuate that they (troops) are over there doing mass murder is ******** (excuses my language). I do not doubt that there are a lot of special interst groups/people with hidden agendas - what war has not had them? But 99.99% of AMericans and I would wager 100% of the troops are over there because they believe in what they are doing to try and help others. They have integrity and care for human life. I support our soldiers other there 110% - regarless of GB or whether the war can ever be won. Any of you soldiers (whether British, Aussie, or any other nationality and especially AMERICAN) reading this, thank you for what you do. And understand one more thing: I did not say I want the war or George Bush.

I love Canadians, and Canada, and Cuba. I have met some awesome people in Jamaica, Brazil, and sooo many other countries... and never once have any of them even slightly shared the anamosity you have. You embarrass your self and you embarrass your country. America and Canada have been friends for a very long time.

The problem with the internet is that people will say things here that they would NEVER say in person. As for you, Waverider, let me just tell you that you will be the most lonely person in the most crowded anchorage. Read this very carefully, if you read nothing else: Cruising is about understanding different people and differnet cultures and coming closer to nature and what life really is all about. That is what I have tried to instill in my children, and still do. Too bad you did not learn that. Maybe there is still time... or it will be the quickest cruise you ever heard of. ANd if you hate my coutry and my people sooooo much, than don't use our technology, don't cross our borders, and stay out of our waters. Sound inconvenient? Too freaking bad. You can sail to Cuba by way of the North Pole for all I care. Tell Hugo Chavez hello on your way through.

I have spent wayyyyyy too much time on this forum when I could have been doing other things with my kids and wife or spending it just for myself. I did it because I have tried to help people & because I care about other people and cruisers in general. We share a common theme and the one thing I have always loved about sailors is thier lack of recognition of governments as what defines a country & its people. That concept, Waverider, is obviously beyond your comprehension too.

You have offended me and coutless others to be sure... and I bet they are not all American. Quite candidly, if you were one of my kids and I caught you writing some crap like you have in this and other threads, you would get a really good spanking and get grounded until you came to appreciate other people and other cultures. WHy you think it is funny to intentionally try and hurt people is beyond me. It is against anything I have ever seen in sailing or cruising.

That being said, enough time here. After re-reading through this and becoming increasingly frustrated that any of the information I have ever typed could help someone like you, l think I will start spending more time with my family and espcially my kids. Maybe I will let them re-read some of the things you have wrote so that they might learn how not to act... but then again, I think they have already learned most of that. I am done with Sailnet for a while, maybe longer.

Regards,

- CD

PS Waverider, if you are a minor, as I suspect, I do apologize about the small profanity... but that is it. Change your life and see if you can find a friend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Hey Waverider. Take it over to the fight club on the General discussion board. As a matter of house-keeping it is rather uncivil to tie up a thread with unrelated issues. Canadian intelligence and other oxymorons are dealt with there daily. Hope to see you there.
Old 12-03-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
I have spent wayyyyyy too much time on this forum when I could have been doing other things with my kids and wife or spending it just for myself.
There is definitely a "law of diminishing returns" with time spent on these forums, which seem "free." I was lucky to both sail today with the family and go to a party for sailors, where I learned about engines, Cheoy Lee 41s, racing, crewing for races, reaching poles and assorted other local and regional sailing tid bits. Lots of fun discussion in very little time.

The users on these forums like yourself really work hard to share information, but in the end we'd probably all benefit from doing more and reading/writing less (if possible). Relationship to thread: best prep for cruising is to sail and enjoy others who also like to sail.

Shot from today (39 degrees warm, 15 knots of wind):

Last edited by Jim H; 12-03-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2006
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie, you make an excellent point about the so-called "simple" cruising life. We're making some of those trade-off decisions right now. I could be happy without two of the more troublesome pieces of technology we like to bring onboard: refrigeration and an engine. As a mechanical engineer, it hurts me to say that, but as a sailor who's absorbed a lot of the Pardey ethic, it makes sense.

BUT ... my wife likes cream in her coffee.

My wife is the most important part of my cruise. She is my friend, companion, confidant, caretaker, and a whole lot of other schmoopie-type things that I won't bother to bore you with. Going cruising without her is not an option. But she is not a sailor. In fact, she's known around the house as "The Princess". She's a good sport, and has jumped onboard with my dream. She's willing to give up the world she knows for the one I want to show her. She's willing to scrimp & save, take classes, and generally modify her life to suit our plans.

BUT ... she likes cream in her coffee.

It's a literal truth, but it's also a metaphor. There are things she will not be comfortable without, and cream for her coffee is just one of them. If keeping my wife happy keeps her (and me) onboard, then I will do what it takes to keep her happy. And if that means I have to have a refrigerator and all of the technology that goes with it, so be it. The plan has to include enough realisticaly comfortable compromise to keep it viable, and the specifics of those compromises will be entirely dependent on the crew in question.
Old 12-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'd have to say you definitely have your priorities in order! Kudo's to you for recognizing them.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
morganmike-

It might be worth seeing if they make a UHT version of cream. UHT milk will last a long time without refrigeration.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2006

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
Definitely better here without Wavejerk. Canadian cream probaby won't spoil.
Old 12-04-2006

lhunt is on a distinguished road
Inferior???

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Waverider...Just be sure you stay in Canadian waters as I know you wouldn't want to sail in inferior American ones.
I am not sure where the inferior comes from. your waters are much warmer especially this time of year.

I am on the verge of putting career on hold for part of the year and buying an O'Day 27 to cruise in part time. It is big enough and low enough price to use for the warm season in the spring YYYAAAHHHHH! ! ! ! ! !
Old 12-04-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Lhunt...I was making a joke with waverider who is now a disapppeared person so the post no longer makes sense. We both have lovely waters...yours are a bit harder than ours at this time of year! Have fun on the O'Day!
Old 12-06-2006

sea_strutter is on a distinguished road
"Canadian intelligence and other oxymorons..." Yeah we should take a page from US military intelligence, EH? Oops. Better shut up before you guys "find" WMD's hidden in our Canadian bacon and putine!

lhunt - check out www.sailfar.net - It deals with small boat cruising and has some great information.

Cheers.