The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
We are in our mid 30's and have 3 kids. We are planning a cruise on 25k and are hoping to get 12-18 mo. from it. We are buying an old boat outright with the money from our house sale. Then a bit left over for refit and our cruising kitty. Yeah we will have nothing when we come back to the states after our cruise but a old boat and a lifetime of memories.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Gee, Rick, if I thought I could afford a spot in a trailer park out there maybe I'D ask you for the number of that plumber too.

Maybe I should get a small go-fast dinghy and stock up on head repair kits, and offer "Marine plumbing with boat calls" ?

Last edited by hellosailor; 12-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Maybe I should get a small go-fast dinghy and stock up on head repair kits, and offer "Marine plumbing with boat calls" ?

My friend who owns the boat that we just did the Baja Ha Ha on last month would have left you a blank check if you were in Bahia Santa Maria the day the head went south.

Yucky-uck squared.............
Old 12-07-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Wow - did this ever get off track!!!!

My whole life has been about embarking on new tacks without a whole lot of preparation. I live pretty much by letting my heart guide me forward and hoping my head catches up eventually. I expect my "retirement cruise" to be pretty much the same. I suspect it's a little like having children...if you spend too much time counting the costs and trying to figure out if you can "afford" them, you'll never know the joy of being a dad. Same goes with marraige, I suppose. Anyway, when my time comes, I'll sail away with my Bride and we'll just take it from there...

My advise: don't spend too much time calculating your budget or you'll never get off the dock.

V/R

Dave
Old 12-09-2007
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
It was nice to see this post. I think we hear a lot of "go now, go with what you have" and I think that is because our natural inclination is to stay put. So we need some pushing to counter the inertia. But I've seen what it is like to be very old and very poor (in my extended family) and it can seriously suck. Wanting to avoid that is smart in my book.

And to add to the derailment, I'm an American overeducated liberal elite* and my husband is a hot French-Canadian military man and we get along just fine. So that ends the US vs. canada vs french canada vs military discussion right there

*not really that easily boxed in but it makes the story better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//

Last edited by Livia; 12-09-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2007

claritycal36 is on a distinguished road
I've been lucky

After spending two years in the Middle East, I went and bought a 1968 Cal 36and sailed her from FL to Annapolis. She is a great boat and the survey came out as Excellent just below Superior. I dumped some electronics on board and she is getting a new engine while I do another year in the Middle East. When I return, it's off we go to do some voyaging down to the Crib and then hit the canal and due west. Spending a few years where you are paid ALOT of money and spending little makes it easier to save for that extended voyage. There are many jobs overseas that are a year contract and will enable you to save for a long voyage. I am single, but have a girlfriend who may or may not decide to voyage with me, but I know that what I have made and saved will enable me to go around the world and then some. Being 45, I want to do this before I am 50 and since life has a way of surprising us, I want to see it now then worry later about where life goes from 50 onwards. My friends and family say to keep working till 50 then take off, but I will do this now as I am single, no mortgage, no home (except the boat), no children, do debt. Who knows what will happen from now till 50. As for spending a lot on the trip, I don't think I will as I do not really like the culture of the yacht marina very much. Too much my boat is better than your types there. I do enjoy having a beer at the end of the day with other cruisers and swapping stories of how much battery juice is used by their boats. Swinging on the hook and fishing off the stern has a great appeal to me at this moment. Restocking the liquor cabinet and book swapping are also some of my favorite things. That in a nutshell is my plan and with some more luck, I am off this time next year. Be well and safe.
Tennyson
Old 03-06-2009
Banned

SailorGregS is on a distinguished road
We have looked at the cruising kitty scenario very closely to see if we can afford to quit our jobs and go.

Our projections are based upon the movement of buying GICS, Bonds, and Dividend paying blue chip stocks. The dividend has to pay at least 4% for the tax benefit. The overall annual income will be based upon 6%, and inflation targeted at 2%. So, for every $100k we have put away we would receive $6,000 not adjusting for inflation. We have no debts, own our house, cars, and cottage. The only problem is purchasing the boat, owning it outright, and doing a retro fit. Budget for the boat is $125,000.

If we can receive investment income, payable monthly, I'm going to budget for $3,000 for our living expenses.

The only problem we have is quitting our jobs. We are high wage earners and letting go of that income is the most difficult part.
Old 03-06-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Six percent--without real risk of loss? Greg, I'd love to know ow you can pull that off these days. Looking at bonds, I can find 7-9% but with real risk. In GO munis and fairly secure bonds, 5.5 federal tax free seems to be as good as it gets (and damn hard to find) these days.

Dividends...nice, if the stock value doesn't go down another 50%. How do you find this stuff?
Old 03-06-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
2% inflation...that's sooo yesterday.

My biggest concern is that all the govt bailouts will cost and that cost will be reflected in inflation.

I remember the late 70's. You could get CD's taht paid 9% or more...because inflation was running 7& to 9%. So I would not count on 2% for the next 10 years.

Read up on the great depression and the hyper inflation that followed. It's what got Germany back into war. Many economies that went through bank troubles then went to hyperinflation.
Old 03-06-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
remember the late 70's. You could get CD's taht paid 9% or more...because inflation was running 7& to 9%. So I would not count on 2% for the next 10 years.
In the late 70's and even the early 80's you could buy CD's paying 20%. I had a lot of them.