SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Heading South to Florida (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/2464-heading-south-florida.html)

calhuge 10-23-2001 01:02 PM

Heading South to Florida

I am planning to head south the first week of December from Charleston with Ft. Lauderdale as a destination and then to the Bahamas. I will be sailing a Beneteau 473. I would like suggestions for interesting stopping points on the way down and a good marina in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days before crossing to the Bahamas. This will be our first trip south. We do not plan to use the ICW unless weather requires. Mast height is very close to the 65''bridges. Any input would be appreciated.

captsteve 10-23-2001 08:07 PM

Heading South to Florida

Hilton Head lighthouse marina is an interesting spot with a well marked channel and entrance.There is a nice village which surrounds the marina.
Bahia-Mar marina in Ft.Laudedale is an excellent facility with the cleanest showers North of the Hilton Marina,Key West. Bahia-mar has everything including a great pool,beach and is within walking distance to the the center of the Ft. Lauderdale''s Nightlife. I sailed a 445 Beneteau there with no problem.
Good Luck
Steve

captsteve 10-23-2001 08:07 PM

Heading South to Florida

Hilton Head lighthouse marina is an interesting spot with a well marked channel and entrance.There is a nice village which surrounds the marina.
Bahia-Mar marina in Ft.Laudedale is an excellent facility with the cleanest showers North of the Hilton Marina,Key West. Bahia-mar has everything including a great pool,beach and is within walking distance to the the center of the Ft. Lauderdale''s Nightlife. I sailed a 445 Beneteau there with no problem.
Good Luck
Steve

luxco48 10-24-2001 01:14 PM

Heading South to Florida

I spent a night at Bahia Mar this past summer and Capt-Steve is correct. It''s a great marina and the showers were clean as a pin. It''s a bit of a walk to the action in Lauderdale, but well worth it. Lots of big motor cruisers parked there when I was there and asy you motor up the intercoastal, there are some great homes to view. We ate at Sloppy Joe''s of the Key West/Hemingway fame and found great food at fairly reasonable prices.

captsteve 10-24-2001 06:11 PM

Heading South to Florida

If you are planning to spend a couple of days in Ft. Lauderdale and want to cruise the ICW check out www.watertaxi.com.

Ft. Lauderdale is called the Venice of the US and has too many dockside restaurants and bars to count. The water taxi stops at them all and can pick you up at Bahia-mar and drop you off anywhere on the ICW including New River. A Beneteau 473 might not be the best way to cruise the ICW.

Oh! by the way Shooters and Bootleggers is the most interesting place to be on Saturday or Sunday Afternoon. Just south of Oakland Park Bridge on the ICW.
Good luck!
Capt steve