An old debate with a new detailed scenario - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-17-2016 Thread Starter

An old debate with a new detailed scenario

Dear all,
Ive newly come to the boater world and was thinking about a power boat or a sailboat. I did a lot of research online and people answered the decision really depends on how you want to use the boat. So I figure if I provide my detail scenario here, people can help me better.

Planning usage of the boat
Ok, so I have never sail a boat before, but im willing to learn. Everybody needs to start somewhere right? However, Im not planning on getting to any distant place in a boat. All I want to do is to spend 3-4 hour on a day I feel like going out on the ocean. Maybe once a week. hang out with my friends or families, watch sunset, fishing or just chilling on the sea. All the other time, the boat will be sitting at the dock. We might spend a night in the cabin occasionally when docked.

Boat Choice
So Im actually very specific with my question. I now have an offer of a 1978 Buccaneer 35' for $21500. Im in Los Angeles, the boat is currently docking in Marina Del Ray. This is the only affordable price range for me. But when I checked online, I realized there were newer powerboat cost much less. And thats where the debate came in.

Another factor here is, the Buccaneer current have a tenant living onboard paying $1575 month to month. The owner said I could take the business with me if I want and that is really tempting because I get to offset my monthly storage and main fees. But Im wondering if I get a powerboat, can I rent it out like this when Im not using it?

Is buying the 1978 Buccaneer 35 a good idea
And now comes the conclusion:
* powerboat or sailboat if Im not gonna use the boat extensively so that maintenance cost and fuel cost wont be too huge

* is there a life span on a sail boat? is this Buccaneer 35 a good deal? The owner said he kept the boat really well and the boat doesnt need any work done.

Thank you everyone, and Im actually very excited to get my first boat in life!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-17-2016

Re: An old debate with a new detailed scenario

Comments:

-Perhaps you should take a sailing class somewhere to learn the basics and get a feel whether you actually LIKE sailing? It's not for everyone. Ditto for motorboating, have you done much of that, to get a feeling for how much you actually like boating in general, as opposed to the idea of it?

-I would think having someone living aboard would not be compatible with your idea of using and enjoying your boat... presumably the whole idea behind buying it in the first place. How would you arrange for the tenant to be away when you want to use the boat? I'm also not that familiar with liveaboard arrangements but it would seem to me the guy is paying what sounds like really high rent to live on a boat like that, even for Southern California? (The appeal of maintaining this arrangement of course is that it eventually pays for the boat and its maintenance and generates some extra cash for you.)
post #3 of 19 Old 04-17-2016

Dock

I thought this was going to be a simple question but its 18.

Oh well

You can not have a boat to use yourself and have someone else renting it to live on.

Try that with an apartment. You ring the renter on a Thursday night and say " Go find somewhere else to live for the weekend as I am having a dinner party with my mates".

As for a 1978 boat... would you buy a 1978 car? I doubt I would. And $20,000 seems a lot for a 35 footer from 1978.

My suggestion is to work out what you want a boat for -REALLY
Then do $20,000 worth of research I.e. see every boat in your price bracket. There's no shortcut, unfortunately

Donna_F likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-17-2016 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the input. well the original idea is that if we and the tenant get along, we can sail out sometime occasionally. If not, i will let the tenant live in it as long as he wants to and get as much money back. Or we can work out some other arrangement.

I think the real now is if this 78 Buccaneer 35 is not a good deal, what recommendation do you guys have for this price range or lower? I was on ebay and many sailboats in this size are more expensive than this one..
post #5 of 19 Old 04-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tou U View Post
Hi, thanks for the input. well the original idea is that if we and the tenant get along, we can sail out sometime occasionally. If not, i will let the tenant live in it as long as he wants to and get as much money back. Or we can work out some other arrangement.

I think the real now is if this 78 Buccaneer 35 is not a good deal, what recommendation do you guys have for this price range or lower? I was on ebay and many sailboats in this size are more expensive than this one..
Only you can decide whether this is a good deal or not, using eBay as a barometer is false hope.

I would be very leery, of the tenant/sailboat arrangement. For a multitude of reasons...you might speak with an attorney, or legal aid worker...the liability for the owner is quite onerous....unlike a house/condo.

If you do this, the boat could be paid for in a year's time, given the rent. This deal may come with a requirement to slip the boat there, or some other tying of the boat and slip together in some contractual sense. I have seen that at the Gangplank in Wash DC, years back.

As the others have suggested, I would try some sailing on OPBs or through lessons or charter. There are tons of boats of this vintage at this price point. eBay is not the only seller out there.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-17-2016

If there is no huge hurry or emergency to get the boat, look at listings in Southern California and drive around and actually look at the boats. You'll find that with older sailboats there is a HUGE range in terms of what kind of condition they are in, and you may find a cheaper boat that is much nicer than the one you are looking at etc.

There are better resources than eBay, too. Try BoatTrader, among others. It's like the Auto Trader except for boats. You can also look at craigslist, but do go by the various marinas in L.A. They will usually have a bunch of free publications advertising boats for sale in the area, and the marinas themselves will often have nearby brokerages with listings they will be happy to show you.

Boats for Sale - Buy Boats, Sell Boats, Boating Resources, Boat Dealers, Parts and Accessories - BoatTrader.com

I did a search for sailboats, within 200 miles of L.A., price range $20K to $30K, and here are some results:

http://www.boattrader.com/search-res...Sort-Price:ASC

Make a fun hobby to go look at some of these boats. You will learn a lot about the different marinas around Southern California and get used to what questions to ask about the boats. You may even want to enlist the help of a boat broker to help you land the right one for you.

It's invaluable to actually eyeball (and smell, lol) the boats to get a feel for what's being offered for your price range. No comparison to just shopping online. The pictures often deceive.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-17-2016

Dock

Kd3pc has an excellent point.

The tenant is playing 18k per year for a 20k value boat plus a dockage.

Pigs bum.

If that was happening no actor would be living in the Hills they would be living in a big boat at a marina renting out a whole lot of cheap boats...

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #8 of 19 Old 04-18-2016

A lot of it would depend on your personality. You have to think about your own personal style and what you like. I think sailors and motor boaters are each attracted to their type of boats because of different personality traits.

I have observed that people who go sailing either love it their first time out or find it too slow or boring. There are few who fall in between. Sailboaters love the thought of going somewhere with nothing but the power of the wind, even if it takes longer to get there. Motor boaters are more oriented towards immediate gratification. They want to turn the key and be planing across the water.

Motor boaters seem to like things that are predictable. They want to know exactly how long it's going to take them to get out to Inspiration Point and what time they will get back in to port for dinner. Sailors accept, and even embrace things that are unpredictable. They don't mind being dependent on wind and weather.

Sailboaters seem fascinated by weather, good weather as well as bad weather. They are often the kind of people who will step outside to watch a storm blow through for the sheer fascination of it. A sailor may put on rain gear and go out in weather that a motor boater would consider bad weather, just because the sailing will be exciting.

Motor boaters seem to like the idea of getting from point A to point B and back again as quickly as possible. They don't mind, and even enjoy, the roar of a powerful engine. Sailboaters seem to like the journey itself and many don't like motors, preferring to feel like they are one with nature, sailing with the wind, even if it takes them longer to get there. Many sailors like the challenge of seeing what little bit of extra speed they can squeeze out of a light wind by messing with their sails. They are fascinated by the science and physics of it all. Many motor boaters would find that pointless, frustrating and boring.

There are sailors who have sailed around the world with no motor. Some sailors have gone for periods of time without bothering to repair a dead motor just for the challenge of seeing where they can go with just the wind. They are willing to accept days of going nowhere in a dead calm just for the challenge of it. A real motor boater would have a hard time understanding why anybody would choose to do such a thing and would consider those people crazy. A motor boater might find that frustrating or infuriating.

All of the opinions I have expressed above are based on limited experience with both motor boats and sailboats and are based on my observations and from talking with both types of boaters. I'm sure that other people we'll come on here and offer opinions as to whether or not I got it right.

Last edited by midwesterner; 04-18-2016 at 04:48 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-18-2016
Just another Moderator

There were/are no Buccaneer 35s.. the closest is a couple of 32/33 footers very different (one by Bill Garden, the other a racer/cruiser by Doug Peterson) so I'm wondering what boat is under discussion.
miatapaul likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-18-2016

Dock
I assume there is a miscommunication and it is a buccaneer 305.

The 305 is a 30 foot sailboat.

I have one.

I'd say the price is a bit high. If he is selling it to you as a 35 footer, you are being taken. If you have been comparing it to 35 footers, that's why it seems cheap.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1376

Last edited by Sinister; 04-18-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.