Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006
sv Blue Dolphin

roborider is on a distinguished road
Panama Canal

My GF and I are planning on taking our boat, a Roberts 55 Ketch thru the canal and out into the Caribean in 2 years. In planning we recently heard that there is a 1 year waiting list to get thru the Canal!? Any information would be appreciated Would also be interested in any recent crossings and some idea of the cost.

We live in the SF Bay Area and will be heading to Mexico and Costa Rica. Any other good "ports o call" that can be recommended. We are avid divers as well.

Tried a Google search but gots lots of travel company info.

Thanks,

robo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2006
Sergent Railmeat

ColinV is on a distinguished road
For info about the Panama Canal, try here: Noonsite: Panama

They have a bit of information, and seem to update regularly, so it's probably up to date.

BTW, I did a google search myself (panama canal cruising yachts) and found a bunch of links. I don't have any experience on the matter though, just expirence with google.
Old 11-15-2006

42ndstreet is on a distinguished road
there is a big article about transiting the canal in Lats and
Atts November issue. Great reading. As I recall, they mentioned a couple of weeks wait(at the most). Regarding the trip down to the canal, have you ever watched the tv show "Ocean Hunter". They freedive spearfish in every show. Always near Costa Rica and Mexico. There website has old shows online.
Sounds like a nice boat. My wife and I would like to do something similar from the other coast. Out of curiousity, is she "into" the trip as much as you are? I am still trying to figure out if my wife is going of her own free will, or because I want her to go. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 11-16-2006
sv Blue Dolphin

Thanks ColinV...great information!

42nd Street...will check out the "ocean Hunter", sounds interesting!!? Just bought the boat, built in 82 but well equiped for cruising although I am in the process of updating a lot of the running rigging. Here are a few photos...Blue Dolphin, Roberts 55 Ferro boat

Main cabin

Pilot House

I will say that Kathy has been the "driving force" behind this whole adventure! The only problem is that she suffers from seasickness and has to take a prescrition drug to maintain a certain level of usefulness! ;-)
She's a realtrooper and even though she is a "rookie" sailor, she is willing to learn. Blus Dolphin is a big boat and we have to decide if we need to have others cruise with us or manage ourselves. When are you planning on going, if you go? Maybe we can randevous at the canal or somewhere in the Caribbean! Stay in touch.

Robert and Kathy
sv Blue Dolphin

Last edited by roborider; 11-16-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Robo, I recently heard that pineapple is an effective cure for seasickness. On a recent passage down the east coast a friend tried this remedy and it worked well for her.
Old 11-17-2006
sv Blue Dolphin

Kathy loves Pinapple.....we'll give it a try!! Thanks for the note!!

robo
Old 11-17-2006

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
The wait is a function of the time of year. For a report from a couple that just transited, read the Nov 15-17 logs at www.lostonpurpose.com
Old 11-17-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
While you are trying the pineapple, lay in a store of ginger. A friend of mine has had complete success with it, brewing a ginger tea from the root itself. There are also commercial preparations available.
Old 11-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second ginger. Ginger snaps, candied ginger, ginger ale, ginger beer, pickled ginger, and ginger gum are all pretty effective solutions at helping prevent seasickness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-18-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
In addition you can buy ginger tablets at many healthfood or vitamin stores. Every seen the TV show Mythbusters? They did an episode on seasickness and found that, for them at least, ginger tablets were the only effective cure that had no side effects.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.