Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security? - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

A little update...... We are finally making our break. Our house is under contract and settlement is set for June 15th. We have our appointment with the retirement office tomorrow morning and will be retired from the school system effective July 1. We should be living aboard the boat by end of July and southbound in the ICW by September. Life is good. Very good indeed.

Tonight I was doing my online application for my social security benefits and at the end of the application I had to check a statement that says I agree to report to the social security administration any time I leave the country for more than 30 days. Really...??

Our plans for the near future, at least the first few years, is the snow bird route, with winters being in the Bahamas and Caribbean, at least for some of the season, and then back to the U.S. and north as far as we feel like going in the summer. Rinse and repeat.

I know there are many others doing the same thing, and probably a large portion of them that are retired, so I had to wonder, do you really contact the social security administration and report in to them every time you sail out of country for 30 days. And....why do they care?
guitarguy56 likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

Apparently only necessary if not a citizen. I've not heard of anyone ever having to send notice.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf
oldragbaggers and capta like this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 15 Old 06-01-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Apparently only necessary if not a citizen. I've not heard of anyone ever having to send notice.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf
Thank you for that clarification. They didn't specify anything about non-citizens in the statement I had to sign. We have our permanent address with St. Brendan's Isle and our checks will be direct deposited to USAA so I guess we're good to go.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Congrats ORB!!!!

Following in your foot steps. Open house this Sunday. If it sells move full time on the boat. SDR in fall.

Amazed how much work it's been to disengage. Who are you using for a mail service? What are you using for a land address?
oldragbaggers likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

We left April 2. We maintained our legal address as our hunting camp in PA but are using SBI as a mailing address. SS is on direct deposit to PNC.

We took the big boat as far as New Bern. We will be taking the small boat North to Newfoundland in a week or so.

Seems to be working so far.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Congrats ORB!!!!

Following in your foot steps. Open house this Sunday. If it sells move full time on the boat. SDR in fall.

Amazed how much work it's been to disengage. Who are you using for a mail service? What are you using for a land address?
You're not kidding about the work required to unplug. Never used to be that way for us. Lance was Navy for many years and we moved every three years so we kept things rather loose. But we had really dug ourselves in deep here over the past 12 years. It was like peeling a hundred tentacles off of us.

We are using St. Brendan's Isle for our permanent address. I have talked to a number of people who have been using them for a long time and have heard nothing but good recommendations. So far they have been very nice to work with. All our bills are set up to be handled online and all our checks go direct deposit to our bank. I think we're good to go.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Reading that PDF of the SS benefits they are paying to 'citizens' from other countries it's no wonder we have a broken SS system... it isn't the system... it's the 'drain' paying all these non U.S. citizens our SS payments to them. (I'm not talking about a U.S. Citizen getting their SS payment while retiring in another country)... How did this ever happen?
post #8 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
A little update...... We are finally making our break. Our house is under contract and settlement is set for June 15th. We have our appointment with the retirement office tomorrow morning and will be retired from the school system effective July 1. We should be living aboard the boat by end of July and southbound in the ICW by September. Life is good. Very good indeed.

Our plans for the near future, at least the first few years, is the snow bird route, with winters being in the Bahamas and Caribbean, at least for some of the season, and then back to the U.S. and north as far as we feel like going in the summer. Rinse and repeat.
Congrats and hope all goes well with the sale... your plans are not much different than what we plan to do albeit less time 6-9 months and scurry back to land... one reason we need to keep one of our homes or keep one of the condos we have in Puerto Rico or my wife's Key Largo condo.

Same with my wife retiring from the school system... her retirement is still a ways to go... should have married some cutie my age... we'd be cruising already... now I have to wait!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Reading that PDF of the SS benefits they are paying to 'citizens' from other countries it's no wonder we have a broken SS system... it isn't the system... it's the 'drain' paying all these non U.S. citizens our SS payments to them. (I'm not talking about a U.S. Citizen getting their SS payment while retiring in another country)... How did this ever happen?
Because non-citizens serve in our armed forces. Because we've granted refugee status to some few people for good and sufficient reasons. But mostly because Green Card-holders pay into the system the same as you and I. That's not a "drain", that's how the thing works.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsop View Post
Because non-citizens serve in our armed forces. Because we've granted refugee status to some few people for good and sufficient reasons. But mostly because Green Card-holders pay into the system the same as you and I. That's not a "drain", that's how the thing works.
Those that joined the Armed Forces as non citizens have earned it. Those as refugees have not earned it unless they paid into the system for xx number of years and will then get xx benefits matching the years they paid into the system. Same goes with the Green Card Holders... unfortunately SS admin. is giving away this to everyone on the planet and why the system is broke... look into it as I and others have! You'll be surprised what you'll uncover!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.