SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dana Point to Monterey fuel needed

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Scotty C-M 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just purchase a Gecco 39 in Dana Point, CA and need to sail/motor her up to Monterey, CA. I have a 33 gallons fuel tank. Is this enough given that I stop to refuel in Santa Barbara? (She has a 43 HP Volvo with saildrive)

Thank You,

Charles

#2 ·
You will need to get fuel at Port San Luis, I would think. Call them to check 805-235-9491.

The wind has been harsh out there. Tuck in behind each cape 10 to 20 miles downwind. Take down all the extra windage junk. I overlook the coast between Cape San Martin and Pt. Sur. See goofballs pounding north regularly out in the harsh seas. If they would just move right a half mile they'd have a much easier time. It is the difference between 35 knots on the nose and 15. The rocks are only along the shore and well charted. Just a tip. See you in Monterey.

#4 ·
I made this trip at the beginning of May and had very benign conditions. However, a friend of mine did it two weeks ago and got hammered. Boat new to you? Congratulations! Until you figure out consumption rate and typical cruising range, I'd err on the conservative side. figure on 30 gal of usable fuel in the tank and a consumption rate of .8 gal/ hour. That gives you a 24 hour endurance and a range of 150 -175 NM. If it was me, I'd opt for a fuel stop in Santa Barbara, setting you up for a Pt. Conception rounding around midnight. I personally don't like the fueling situation at Port San Luis and instead, opt for Morrow Bay. Unfortunately, both ports are susceptible to winds and swells from the south.

#6 ·
Right now the swell is small. We have had, however, some huge south swells this summer. Check that before you leave. It makes quite a difference. By the way, Morro Bay can be difficult to enter if there is a big swell. I'd call the Harbor Master there and ask what they think. I agree with Aloof's ideas. I like to go around Conception early in the morning. Pt. Sur can be really tough, so pick your weather window well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.