Seeking help to outfit a Mac 26S for gulf crossing. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I can't tell ya about the 26 S/C but I've had my V-21 out in 25-30 knots and 6' seas without issue. It was a thrilling ride. I would not recommend taking it out in the Gulf though. You aren't gonna outrun weather in the classic 26's like ya might in the 26X/M.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I don't think anybody has survived the crossing in that "boat".
Old 08-12-2009

TimberCruiser is on a distinguished road
I find it interesting that when I am sailing in sh_tty weather, I never see any of those "beautiful boats" that are built to handle that weather out there. They are back at the marina having cocktails and talking about those inferior little MacGregors. I have had snobs from the Royal Vancouver Yaught Club, row over to my boat and tell me I was crazy to bring my boat to the mid-coast of BC. If it wasn't for his hot wife I would have told him where to go.

I bought it 16yrs ago for $17000 brand new and have gone all over the BC coast. Sail your boat, learn what it can do and take it from there.
Old 08-20-2009

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I think Timber cruiser said it better than anyone else... "Sail your boat...know what it can do..." and I'll add...don't forget to " Know yourself and know what YOU can do...." What do you call a gulf crossing though"?.. There are "gulf crossings"..and then there are GULF CROSSINGS...curious what the original poster has in mind.

Last edited by souljour2000; 08-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2009

flatracker is on a distinguished road
Be Careful

First off, you didn't give many particulars about distance, direction and time you plan on going, and how much time you have available. But don't listen to the nay sayers, and those whose primary interest seems to be to bash the boat. It is what it is. In most instances, it will be you who can't deal, not the boat. Just make sure you have everything as prepared as you can possibly make it. Watch the weather closely. Most predictions are reliable for 24 hours out, and after that, it's a crap shoot. When I was much younger, and a whole lot dumber, I single handed a Chrysler 22, from Corpus to Isla Mujeras and back. I had no auto pilot, no loran, no GPS. My entire assortment of nav instruments was a compass, and a single large scale chart. I had been sailing for a total of one year at that time, and had never been on salt water in a sailboat before. Made it fine, and while I would certainly not even consider such a venture at this age, I am very glad I did it. So, prepare as best you can, pick a decent looking weather window and go for it. And enjoy.