Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2001

ern-n-jo is on a distinguished road
My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life

Hi Chris,
My wife and I have a similar dream. We plan to retire in 5yrs. and have a cruising life in Fl.(keys)and occasional passages. We just plan to liveaboard for 2-4 mths. out of the year and keep our house to come back to, except we are still undecided whether to sell our house and get maintanance free living for the times we are away. We love our house (20 acres in the country) but there is a lot of upkeep. We are pretty new to sailing too, I took the ASA basic keel and coastal cruising course and plan on taking courses every year. We sail every chance we get at the lake on our Hunter 240 we bought last year. We still need more sailing experience. Unlike you Chris, I''m starting kind of late (57 yrs) so it''s important to me to get as much experience sailing as I can and supplement our income for a cruising kitty fast. We plan on chartering different boats to compare how we like them. We have been researching boats for the one we will need, and came up with the Morgan 41 OI, it''s supposed to be a
comfortable,roomy, stable, good liveaboard. Any information anyone has on this boat would be appreciated. It''s a great dream and It can come true with determination. We would like to hear about any experiences anyone has had on the Morgan 41 good or bad. email me at ernscarjo@aol.com

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2006

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
It's encouraging to see that there are other like-minded souls out there! Maybe we're not as daft as some of my friends think!

I'll be 51 this year, have only been sailing for two years. Like many of you, we intend to cruise after I retire. Being the "jump-in-with-both-feet" kind of people we are, my wife and I bought our boat before either of us had even taken a sailing course. I don't know if our skill level (or ambition) will be up for an ocean crossing by the time we retire (5-7 years, God willing) or whether we'll stick closer to shore. Either way, I think We'll be as happy as a clams living the cruising life for a few years after I retire. Someday, of course, we'll have to "swallow the anchor" as age catches up with us or the waunderlust fades but, as long as it's fun and our health holds out, I think retiring onto our boat and simply bouncing around from place to place will suit us fine.

I wish all of you the very best of luck as you each chase your dream. May reality rise to your hopes and expectations!

V/R

Dave
Old 08-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dave... you just replied to a 5 year old post! Nevertheless...good luck!
Old 08-24-2006

sailr4 is on a distinguished road
I wonder...

Wonder if any of those 5-year plans are cruising today ... 5 years later?
Old 01-17-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Dave... you just replied to a 5 year old post! Nevertheless...good luck!
Thats OK, I"m reading and enjoying it 5 years after he posted it.
Old 01-19-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
I started to post on this thread. Then I realized that it is more than ten years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-19-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
I started to post on this thread. Then I realized that it is more than ten years old.
Holy archive Batman! The Sailnet server is no joke!

When the OP was talking about his home in SF that has "nicely appreciated" over the past 7 years, I was wandering just what bizarro neighborhood he lived in, or what he was smoking. Then I looked at the date.

Ahh, those were the days!
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 01-19-2011

rk6johnson is on a distinguished road
Great replys. One of our "Share Use" members wanted to retire to Panama and sail there, but had not sailed much. He joined for a couple years, did a lot of sailing single handed, etc. Got him prepared, he learned what features he liked and didn't like in a boat, did coastal cruising several trips, etc. Did this with no investment in the boat in case he didn't like it. You would still need experience with the mechanicals but there are plenty of sailors who would be happy to have an assistant. Keep in mind many jobs can be done from "home" and with internet access, that can be anywhere in Coastal US and beyond.
Old 01-20-2011

riversandbar is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if any of these 5 year plans actually came to life and how the story ended up?
Old 01-20-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
5 Year Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversandbar View Post
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if any of these 5 year plans actually came to life and how the story ended up?
I was not foolish enough to post my plans on a public forum but I CAN say that we got away from the dock in a fairly timely manner.

Still Cruising

And now I don't mind posting the plans because we just plan to cruise so wherever we end up, it fits the plan