Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
LOL! Sell the wife and not the boat. I love that! I am fortunate enough to have a wife that loves to sail and REALLY loves to fish.

Vega: $1200 a month sounds a bit high, but then you mentioned that you two enjoy the occasional marina restaurant and beer, so I guess that can pile some on. Although I have not sat down with my spreadsheet in a while, I think I calculated somewhere around $500 a month that includes anchorages and not marinas, food, a bit of diesel, and catching fish to supplement.

We just won't get sick.
Cruisers we talked to in Hawaii said they had been cruising on $6K per year outside the US. We have been in the Pacific Northwest, WA and BC, for the last three and a half years. We did spend a lot of time in marinas (Average $300 per month) and that accounts for much of the expense. In Seattle, we shopped at the local farmer's market every Sunday (Salmon $25 a lb. and organic fruits, veggies and cheeses also not cheap). We could save by buying cheaper food but after living in Hawaii, the fresh fruits and veggies in Washington, and especially the salmon, were just impossible to resist.

We think we could do it easily on half as much. But we worked some and, as I mentioned on another thread, it costs more to work than it does to cruise - transportation, clothing, convenience meals and the need to be in a marina, and therefore close to restaurants, drive the costs up when you are working. I drink, Laura does not. I spend about $150 to $200 a month on beer and wine when available. I only drink beer from a tap and never drink at sea so you can see how anchorage to anchorage cruising would save $$.

I think good quality food, with prices going the way they are, will cost close to $500 per month by itself for two adults - and we eat very little meat. But we do not begrudge the money spent on food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Vega, I spent the last three days watching your trip to the west coast in 2007 and even though it took you 55 days I wondered wht I did not see a fishing pole dangling over the rail. Never have tried to provision a boat or anything else for a trip like that but I figure if you can do it that I should be able to learne how. I know if I want to sail around for anywhere near the 1200.00 a month mark I better work on slowing down on the booze and smokes. I know what they cost the wife and I now we could stop all together and buy a heck of alot larger boat.
Old 01-25-2011

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Cruisers we talked to in Hawaii said they had been cruising on $6K per year outside the US. We have been in the Pacific Northwest, WA and BC, for the last three and a half years. We did spend a lot of time in marinas (Average $300 per month) and that accounts for much of the expense. In Seattle, we shopped at the local farmer's market every Sunday (Salmon $25 a lb. and organic fruits, veggies and cheeses also not cheap). We could save by buying cheaper food but after living in Hawaii, the fresh fruits and veggies in Washington, and especially the salmon, were just impossible to resist.

We think we could do it easily on half as much. But we worked some and, as I mentioned on another thread, it costs more to work than it does to cruise - transportation, clothing, convenience meals and the need to be in a marina, and therefore close to restaurants, drive the costs up when you are working. I drink, Laura does not. I spend about $150 to $200 a month on beer and wine when available. I only drink beer from a tap and never drink at sea so you can see how anchorage to anchorage cruising would save $$.

I think good quality food, with prices going the way they are, will cost close to $500 per month by itself for two adults - and we eat very little meat. But we do not begrudge the money spent on food.
some great reading here Vega, thanks for that!!
Old 01-25-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Hey Vega,

I was checking out your YouTube page, way cool. Definitely captures what it's like out there. I've been miserable about as often as I've been happy and content, the days that I've been at sea. But sitting here, a good four years removed from my last bit of open water on a small boat, I find myself getting pulled pretty hard in that direction. It's like crack (I think).

Anyway, good videos. Helping to get me through the New England winter (and what a winter we're having!)
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 01-25-2011
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman9 View Post
Vega, I spent the last three days watching your trip to the west coast in 2007 and even though it took you 55 days I wondered wht I did not see a fishing pole dangling over the rail. Never have tried to provision a boat or anything else for a trip like that but I figure if you can do it that I should be able to learne how. I know if I want to sail around for anywhere near the 1200.00 a month mark I better work on slowing down on the booze and smokes. I know what they cost the wife and I now we could stop all together and buy a heck of alot larger boat.
If you watched, you should know why we weren't fishing - I was seasick for the first THREE WEEKS

You try cleaning fish like that.

Seriously though, In the past we have been very successful fishing. Mahimahi love a pink squid. We use a hand line and surgical tubing. Poles are too cumbersome on a sailboat and we do not do it for sport.

"Provisioning" is just a fancy word for grocery shopping. Just plan to eat the stuff that goes bad fastest first; and anyone can learn to sail a boat as far as they want. It is not rocket science. Humans have been doing it for millennia.

A pack of smokes and two beers in a waterfront pub costs more than you will spend on food most days. Its all about priorities.

Old 01-25-2011
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Hey Vega,

I was checking out your YouTube page, way cool. Definitely captures what it's like out there. I've been miserable about as often as I've been happy and content, the days that I've been at sea. But sitting here, a good four years removed from my last bit of open water on a small boat, I find myself getting pulled pretty hard in that direction. It's like crack (I think).
Yeah. It ain't all Palm trees, white sand and Mai Tais, that's fer sure.

Quote:
Anyway, good videos. Helping to get me through the New England winter (and what a winter we're having!)
Glad you like the videos - more coming.

We are on our way back to New England - taking the "Scenic route". I'm from Vermont originally but spent thirty years in Hawaii before taking off cruising. I plan on going home to die on the farm.

Old 01-25-2011
AL C

capnscruffy is on a distinguished road
Another 5 year planner

My five year plan is in effect now, currently in month two.
1. Save $18,000 over the next five years.
2.Start outfitting the boat now, needs much - but basically a fair condition Albin Vega. Needs stove, heat, newer sails and probably renew all standing and running rigging, engine.
3. While outfitting, spend a lot of time cruising New England waters, and living aboard during warmer months.
4. Gain some experience heavy weather sailing.
5. (maybe part of 1) Figure out what works for galley arrangements/equipment, provisions to carry, how much clothing, etc.....

My rough plan is to spend 3-4 days at sea or anchored out, and 2-3 days in port during the year 1 as I make my way south. I will continue to work during this time, leaving the boat to go to NY for my two week rotations as a Mate on a tugboat. After the first year or two, it might be time for a little sabatical for long range cruising - as by then the kids will be old enough to let me wander a bit.
I've thought about getting a bigger boat for all this, but I think maybe the Vega is the ideal size for single-handing - and besides - I already have it - they are well proven, and I don't have tons of money. Bigger boat=bigger expenses all around.
Old 02-03-2011

CanadianRocky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
My first plans to sail off over the edge of the earth began during my eighteen years of service in the Canadain Navy. I resigned my commission in 1981 and bought a 48-foot ketch. The plans were delayed when I met a woman and then spent the next 25 years with her; we never did sail offshore............
This has been my experience twice. And has kept me from my deep water dream for much to long. The first time, it was 5 years, and the second time it was closer to 15. Now, there are no regrets, ( I would change nothing because of my two beautiful daughters ) because who I am today, is an accumulation of who I was in the past but I am not going to threepete this.

I am a fairly successful 58 year old businessman and I will not let anything interfere with the plan to sail away.

This time, I am buying the boat first, rigging it for single handed sailing and whoever wants to come can bring their gear, everyone else can wave from the dock.
Old 02-03-2011

riversandbar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am a fairly successful 58 year old businessman and I will not let anything interfere with the plan to sail away.

This time, I am buying the boat first, rigging it for single handed sailing and whoever wants to come can bring their gear, everyone else can wave from the dock.
As I prepare and just paid retainer fees for my divorce I can sooo relate to you on this... I WILL NOT go through this again.... like you, if they wanna come when I check out (6 years away), thats fine, and if not.... I will send them a post card.
Old 02-03-2011
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
T... I will not let anything interfere with the plan to sail away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversandbar View Post
As I prepare and just paid retainer fees for my divorce I can sooo relate to you on this... I WILL NOT go through this again.... like you, if they wanna come when I check out (6 years away), thats fine, and if not.... I will send them a post card.
That's the spirit!

Priorities. It always comes down to priorities.

BTW: The good ones are out there. The trick is to be up front about it from the start. I already lived on my boat and was well along in my plan to go cruising when I met Laura. In a nutshell, I told her "What you see is what you get. I am going cruising. You are welcome to come along, or not. Your choice." She chose to come along. Not without some trepidations. She was a bit concerned about the long voyages I had planned so I arranged for us to spend three weeks aboard a square rigged sail training ship. That well and truly set the hook. After that, I could hardly keep her at home. She took off for Fiji in the square rigger at the invitation of the captain, then flew to San Diego to deliver a schooner to Kauai.

OK. That is enough unseemly bragging

Some people love being at sea. Some people fear it and hate it. Some people like the idea of cruising, or the "Romance" but cannot handle the reality. It is not always the female of the team that would prefer to "Fly down and meet the boat". We have met a lot of cruising couples in our travels; and most cruisers are couples, MF, MM and a few FF. Usually one of the two is considered the sailor of the team, rarely are both equally enthusiastic about sailing.

But there is more to cruising than sailing.

Last edited by vega1860; 02-03-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Additional text