Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011

CanadianRocky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Just out of curiosity, what formula did you use to come up with a 10 year cruising budget?
It is just thinking right now, but it works out like this.

$6o to 70,000 for the boat, I particularly like the Tayana 37.

30 to 40,000 to get her ready for sea.

$3000 to $4,000 a month for expenses once underway.

Total budget is right around $500,000 for boat and lifestyle.

I would not need to sell my house to make this happen and I have enough aside for retirement if and when it happens. I also have enough to live more than a cruising lifestyle, like mountain climbing, etc.

Sort of like, if I get to Africa, I want to be able to climb Kilimanjaro. When I am in Mediterranean I want to be able to see the sights from more than the cockpit of the boat.

And there is always feeding the photography beast.

Both of my girls are set up now. One is six months away from her Masters in Geology and the other is on her way to being a Business Manager. I don't have to worry about them anymore. That is nice.
Old 02-03-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
It is just thinking right now, but it works out like this.

$6o to 70,000 for the boat, I particularly like the Tayana 37.

30 to 40,000 to get her ready for sea.

$3000 to $4,000 a month for expenses once underway.

Total budget is right around $500,000 for boat and lifestyle.

I would not need to sell my house to make this happen and I have enough aside for retirement if and when it happens. I also have enough to live more than a cruising lifestyle, like mountain climbing, etc.

Sort of like, if I get to Africa, I want to be able to climb Kilimanjaro. When I am in Mediterranean I want to be able to see the sights from more than the cockpit of the boat.

And there is always feeding the photography beast.

Both of my girls are set up now. One is six months away from her Masters in Geology and the other is on her way to being a Business Manager. I don't have to worry about them anymore. That is nice.
Looks good. I think you may find that getting the boat ready may be a bit more. My boat was already cruising and cosidered turnkey. It is a 1997 model but I will spend $30k before I go. Some of that is my labor. A lot is new sails and rigging which I will pay a sailmaker.

You could still do well with a recent model Caliber 40lrc for about $250k and still have $50k/year to live on for 5 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011

CanadianRocky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Looks good. I think you may find that getting the boat ready may be a bit more. My boat was already cruising and cosidered turnkey. It is a 1997 model but I will spend $30k before I go. Some of that is my labor. A lot is new sails and rigging which I will pay a sailmaker.

You could still do well with a recent model Caliber 40lrc for about $250k and still have $50k/year to live on for 5 years.
There does seem to be a lot of "one mans dream" is "another mans eyesore" when it comes to boats. A turn key sailboat, turns out to be a Turn Key nightmare. My market area will be North America and with enough patience I believe I will be able to find the boat I am looking for. I am sure there is the same thing in Sailing as there is in Mountain climbing, Summit Fever. I have never had summit fever and that has helped me significantly in Business when it comes to correct purchasing and good choice making. It is never a good idea to walk into a deal that you will not walk away from, for even the slightest reason. I have made some poor choices but have learned how to see them coming now.

A good business person is someone who makes more good choices than poor choices. Right up until she is in the water and I am underway, I will use the same formulas as I do in business.

"If it sounds to good to be true, it is"

"Luck is for those who need it, the rest of us use skill-sets, if not our own, then other people's"