ICW Help - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2006 Thread Starter
ICW Help

I am new to this thread system and could use some help

i am also looking to travel south from close to Jacksonville NC in January, is this realy dumb? as i have never been on the ICW and don't know if this is possible or not. i might be buying an ODay 27 to travel in as she in on Ebay for a great price. i live in Vancouver BC where we sail all year but it is real cool some days in winter.

can this trip be done going outside on the Atlantic from Fort Macon down to Wilmington or maybe Charleston. I know this is a big venture but that could be done in two days in stead of 8 or 10 days in the ditch (ICW). is this likely to be safe?? or completely stupid

thanks in advance for any help you can give Dreamer

Last edited by lhunt; 01-17-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2007
I ran around in a tee shirt yesterday and today....but when the cold weather gets here it will be every bit as cold as the Puget Sound or colder. Perhaps less rain and snow but still cold. Odds are, the further south you get the nicer it will get as freezing temps in Florida are seldom long in duration. If you can handle the weather (Temp and humidity), this part of the world will be a bit more tolerable.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2007
Warm Weather Sailor
Lots of folks leave from NC in January. The ICW is fine, might be a bit cool but hopefully it gets warmer the further south you go.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2007
Bring lots of warm clothing - ljs, turtlenecks, touques, winter jacket, gloves-a portable electric heater and stay in marinas and you'll be fine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.