Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2001
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Hudson River Cuise

Hello,

In July ''02 I am planning a cruise from Stonington, CT up the Hudson River to Catskill, NY.

My route will take me to the Hudson via LI Sound to the East River then up the Harlem River.

I am looking for information from anyone who has made this trip or a similar one.

I have plenty of boating experience, but I am new to sailing (I have completed the ASA courses in sailing and navigation). This spring I will be getting alot of shakedown time before embarking on my trip.

Rob Gallagher
C&C 30 "Trysail"
Pawcatuck CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
Hudson River Cuise

Great Trip but why not do it in the fall with the change of leaves--very pretty, especially Hudson Valley area (West Point to Tivoli Bay) You will find very little wind at that time of year and it will be very hot and humid. I don''t think you want to go through the Harlem River since there are special requirements and advance notification for bridge openings. Go down the East River and around The Battery and then up the Hudson--get to see a lot more ie. UN Plaza, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, South Street Seaport etc. Watch out for the ferry boats when going around the Battery. Lots of Marinas and plenty of anchorages. You should have reservations at the Marinas. Neat places--Bear Mountain, Garrison, Cold Spring, West Point, Norrie Point Marina,Roundout Creek (Kingston). Any other questions?just ask. There is also a very eclectic group of boats and people who usually stay at the 79th Street Boat Basin in the Hudson River-you might want to reserve a mooring there and it is a good stoping point going from the Sound and around lower Manhattan before preceeding up the Hudson (it is south of the GW Bridge).
Old 11-30-2001
HANUMAN

Hudson River Cuise

Hi Shimshon,
Thanks for the reply. My first plan was to go down around the battery, now I think I will go back to that plan. I make 3 trips (usually by car) every summer to stay near Catskill NY with friends. I can plan my cruise as late as september. I would like to use the motor as little as possible (or not at all!). Do you think September will give me better winds upriver? Do any really great marinas come to mind?

I''m guessing 2 days from the Battery to Caskill. Is this realistic considering light winds and current?

It''s going to be a long winter

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 12-02-2001

Hudson River Cuise

September should present you with some better opportunities for sailing. As I mentioned before, Norrie Point is a nice place to stay (aprox. 11 miles north of Poughkeepsie). If you are not adverse to anchoring-- just north of Cold Spring on the east side of the Hudson is a nice little cove with a view of the Storm King Mountains.
There is also a small marina in Garrison that you might want to consider. Garrison is a neat little village to stroll around in. Cold Spring has a great restaurant called the Hudson House that you might want to try.
A lttle farther north from Cold Spring and on the west side of the Hudson is the Cornwall Yacht Club which will take transients if they have the room--not much else there though. Good Luck!! In response to your question regarding time--if you pushed and motored most of the way, you could probably make it in two days. But you are talking about some long days since it is aproximately 75 miles from the Battery to Saugerties (Catskill). I think you would miss an awful lot that the Hudson has to offer.
Old 12-04-2001
HANUMAN

Hudson River Cuise

Hello Shimshon,

I will be allowing plenty of time to enjoy the hudson. But, because I will be meeting friends in Catskill, I might head strait up then take my time on the return trip. It depends on my schedule. The information you have provided will be very helpful. Thanks again for you input.

It''s 70 degrees and sunny today, I''m wishing my boat was still in the water.
Old 12-08-2001

Cal28nbc is on a distinguished road
Hudson River Cuise

My father is a member of Nyack Boat Club in Nyack, NY. about 1/2 mile north of the Tappan Zee Bridge on the west shore.
The NBC website has info and links pertaining to this stretch of the Hudson.

http://www.serve.com/jfmorris/nyack.html
Enjoy the trip,
V.Landers Jr. Cal28 (unnamed)
Old 12-08-2001

Cal28nbc is on a distinguished road
Hudson River Cuise

One more link of information for your Hudson River trip.

http://www.boatingonthehudson.com

Old 12-10-2001

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Hudson River Cuise

We produced a video cruising guide for the
Hudson, check under videos in the sailnet
classified. Shows passage from Battery to
Troy and all the major ports.
Old 12-11-2001
HANUMAN

Hudson River Cuise

Thanks for the interesting websights and I will look further into the video. Any thoughts on the best cruising guide to the hudson?
Old 12-13-2001

Hudson River Cuise

I need to correct my mail to you of 12/2/01. I gave you the distance from the Battery to Poughkeepsie. The distance to Catskill is aproximately 106miles. So, you probably have aminimum of a three day trip to get there. Sorry for the error.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.