Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006

tahoedave is on a distinguished road
First blue water passage south

Hi everyone,

I have shipped my boat to Kemeh last month and have been outfitting the boat trying to get ready for a trip from Galveston through the ICW to Miami and then head though the Bahamas and eventually end up in St. Martin. before turning around and coming back. I have taking 10 months off and need to be in the Virginia Area by August to start a PhD program.

So Far I have just painted the bottom and replaced the standing and running rigging. additionally I just purchased a rolling furling and had a 130% sail made for it. I replaced the old (not running) penta MD 11 with a penta MD 7 which seems to run fine that is to say she starts when I push the button. I have install a new head system with holding tank to comply with regulations and hopefully not piss off any of my fellow sailors. I have installed three battery banks each with two batteries for a total of six. Two banks are for the house system and the third is issolated just for the engine.

I'm in the process of rewiring lighting system, and installing the new VHF radio, Chart Plotter, and Depth sounder. I have not purchased a Ham radio and have not plan to do so as of yet. I Additionally I have found a windvaine for good price and plan to pick it up next week.

The Diesel tank holds about 20 gallons and I am planing to carring four 5 gal. jerry gans for reserve. I have 35 gallon water blader and I was thinking of getting a second 35 gallon blader and two 5 gal jerry cans for water.

As far as a dingy is concern I have 8 ft zodiac with and electric motor for a kicker with two additional batteries for it. I was thinking I could buy a small mini solar charger to store on it this way I don't have to carry gas in addition to the diesel.

I know this thread sounds like it is all over the place but I Would like to ensure that the boat is outfitted properly before heading out.

As for the route planing process, for the most part it has just really started like everyone else I have been reading and dreaming about a trip like this my whole life. As I meantioned above I have a starting point and an ending point and now am tryng to connect the dots. By the looks of things the best plan for me will be down the thorney path after I make the passage to the Bahamas from Miami area.

Any information or input on how to make this a safe and enjoyable trip during this time of year is appreciated. Additional is there any must have pieces of equipment that I should make sure I have before leavig Galveston.

Thanks everyone, Dave

Dufour Arpege - Blue Pearl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dave...good summary. Glad you have the time to enjoy the trip and do it in safety.
I guess I'd start with the safety issue. Do you have a liferaft,Epirb, heavy duty MANUAL bilge pump AND spares kit, Jacklines, PFD/harness and SAT phone if you have no plans for SSB??
Since I think anchors are maybe the most important piece of safety gear, do you also have an OVERSIZED penetrating anchor on a rode with at least 100 ft. of chain and at least 200ft overall? Do you have a secondary anchor with similar rode ready to deploy?
Lots more to talk about but I'm sure others will chime in. As to what you've already said in terms of preparation...
-I think you are light on fuel and if need be you can go lighter on your water in order to accomodate it. You can buy bottled water anywhere along the way.
- I think you will be MOST unhappy with your electric dinghy motor given the DISTANCES and conditions you will be travelling in your dink. SOLAR will not come close to supplying your needs.
-You don't mention how you plan to charge your battery banks, what size they are or if you have refrigeration. Three banks vs. one large house bank and a starter is not generally thought of as the best way to go for long term battery charging efficiency/life. How will you monitor and charge your banks?
Old 12-19-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
While I can't speak to the Bahamas part of your trip, I can relate that the ICW part from Texas to New Orleans will not be easy this time of year. For one, the days are short, and anchorages and marinas untill Shell Morgan Landing (about 200 mi from Galveston) are few and far between, as well as services. Also, weather will be a factor along that stretch.

I just tried that trip in November, and ended up turning back at the Mermetau River. A combination of bad weather, rookie mistakes and the short days, convinced me that now is not the time to make that run. That doesn't mean you can't make it, but it won't be easy for a singlehander.

If you would like some more info regarding that stretch, you're welcome to stop by Marina Del Sol here at Clear Lake and I can fill you in.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2006

tahoedave is on a distinguished road
Cam>>

I currently do not have a liferaft but I do have th inflatable dingy I plan to have secured to the on the deck of the bow. I don't have and Epirb. I do have a heavy duty MANUAL bilge pump and plan to install an automatic one as well. I will have Jacklines and a PFD/harness I used to climb lot a feel being tied in is a good thing. I don't have a SAT phone or an SSB? I have just install a fixed VHF and thing tht i schould get a portible hand held VHF to comcunicate better with the tug boats in the ICW from the cockpit. I might need to rethink this arrangement.

I plan on having three anchors. One plow and two Danfords. but I wasn't planning on having 100 ft of chain. I thought 10 ft was common. Do you have a recommendations on what types of anchors work best in the bahamas and the eastern carribbean?

PBzeer, I will back in Kemeh on the 25th and I will stop over at Marina Del Sol to some information on your experience if that is OK with you.

Thanks, David
Dufour Arpege - Blue Pearl

I plan on using running the engine in order to charge the battery bank. I batteries are the standard marine deep cell batteries from Costco I think they are 27s. I don't have any refergeration and I plan on using and ice box.
Old 12-20-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Definitely get a hand-held VHF, it makes things very much easier where you are heading. It's not just the tugs, but the bridges and locks you need to contact as well.

Anchorwise, you should have your boat length in chain (at a minimum) on your primary anchor. The ten foot would be okay on your secondary. In areas of coral though, you should have as much chain as possible.

You won't find ice on the ICW between Mile 330 West and 160 West without going a half a day off the ditch. Since you'll be motoring anyway though, you might look into some of the portable cooler-type fridges like Engel. They'll run on 12v or 110v and work as an ice chest as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-20-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedave
I plan on having three anchors. One plow and two Danfords. but I wasn't planning on having 100 ft of chain. I thought 10 ft was common. Do you have a recommendations on what types of anchors work best in the bahamas and the eastern carribbean?
Your anchoring set up really doesn't sound adequate, in terms of both anchors and rode. Let's avoid turning this into another anchoring thread, but you would be well advised to do a bit more research and be sure not to compromise on this area - it is one of your most critical safety aspects.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 12-20-2006

42ndstreet is on a distinguished road
Great advice so far. Epirb is a must. You will need more chain. Have backup paper charts.
Old 12-20-2006

mjname is on a distinguished road
Take something to document the experiece... whether it's a camera, video recorder or just a good old fashion journal. Oh and once you get the Epirb, life raft, and anchor figured out... don't forget to have fun.

Matthew

PS The electric trolling motor will need a different prop if your using it for a dink. The prop that it comes with is used for moving big heavy boats really slowly and sucks at moving small light boats fast or in heavy surf surge. These guys have a prop that might be worth looking at.
http://www.bassbuckandduck.com/kipawa_props.htm
Old 12-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TahoeDave... You need to either buy or RENT a liferaft and EPIRB for that trip...A dinghy doesn't begin to do the same job. How are you going to get the weather reports you need as you head down island when you are out of VHF range (25 miles) ?? That's why you need an SSB receiver or Sat Phone.
As to anchors...yes you need 100 ft. of chain because the coral will saw through rope and you need the 200 feet toatal so you can get a 10:1 storm scope in 20ft. of water. You sure don't need 2 Danforths. When you say "plow" I assume you mean something like a CQR. For your boat, your heavy storm anchor should be in the 40LB. range. Craig's Rocna's are excellent by all reports and a lot of folks are also using Deltas, Spades and Bruce's with success. You can read all about it on the anchoring thread.
Check on the thread "I may be crazy..." for the routing advice I gave Bluewater4Us and he may be able to send you the list of charts and books you will need for the trip.
Just the "across the Gulf of Mexico" portion of the trip in winter can be dangerous and throw seas and conditions at you like you've never seen on Lake Tahoe...as PB will tell you, every aspect of the boat preperation needs to be attended to and made ready for offshore conditions and the safety gear is crucial as well. If you can't afford some of this stuff...then you should not go. An alternate plan would be to stick to the ICW and then cross to the Bahamas in a nice weather window and just hang out there till it is time to head to VA...lot's of people do just that and love it. Butif you head further south...you need to be well prepared cause you will be very much on your own.
Old 12-21-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I think hanging out in the Bahamas is an excellent idea. TD has left it a little late to be heading down island. He will have to be back or close to the US before hurricane season starts in June and doing the thorny path needs lots of time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.