Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
The Virgins - what to see, what to avoid

Looking for guidance on where to go in the Virgins. Never been there before. How much time to explore it? What to avoid? What are the most interesting anchorages ? I don't dive, just a snorkeler. Was thinking of a round robin trip of about 1 month to include St. Croix, returning to PR by early Feb. Planning to include the south side of Vieques and then Culebra, not sure of details after that. Looking for specifics.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Suggest any of the excellent guidebooks. This is one of the most sailed and explored areas in the world. There is a TON of information available.

Also, check out the new online guide: http://www.onlinecruisingguide.com/index.html

Bill
Old 12-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Escape...bring plenty of $$ ! There is almost no where to anchor anymore in the BVI's due to mooring ball madness...$25 bucks a night on average!
Our favorite place to hang out it north sound on Virgin Gorda but there are lots of beautiful spots as Bill suggests. Only place I wouldn't go is CharlotteAmalie at night.
Old 12-21-2006

georgebanker is on a distinguished road
BVI Anchorages

EscapadeCaliber40LRC, my wife and I were owner/operators in the crewed yacht charter business in the 80's and currently have a sailboat in Great Cruz Bay, St. John. Some of my thoughts.

Almost all of the "mooring ball" anchorages in the BVIs are colocated with places to eat(usually ashore). I you do not need this I can suggest the south side of Peter Island, the north side of Norman Island. Also, I second North Sound on Virgin Gorda, as mentioned by Camaraderie. We also like to go out past Saba Rock and anchor in Eustatia Sound. I don't want to give away any more of our spots but get a couple of cruising quides and you will be able to find more places.

Good sailing.
Old 01-04-2007
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Read some guides, studied some charts, heading back down to PR tomorrow night. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I will be going to St.Thomas early February (to work unfortunately). I go there twice a year and to St. Croix also. By plane.... oh well.

In St.Thomas there is a cool aquarium that you can dive with a weird helmet, there is a very nice restaurant up on the hill facing Charlotte Amalie, and another one further west, facing the new marina and old sub base.

North of the island there are real nice beaches, (mangoose bay I believe) but normally I stay at Emerald beach. If you can rent a car, they aren't that expensive. And can take it with the boat to St. John. Nothing to see just beaches.

Cam said avoid Charlotte Amalie at night, yes do, but I have been there at night with my wife and kid and we were OK, but follow his advice, just in case. There is a small restaurant in the pier, next to CYOA rentals that is run by nice ladies. Next to it, the best breakfast and coffe shop on the island. If you go there, tell the fat lady in the cash register you know the European Indian (me) !!!

There is small island to the southwest of Charlotte were they do submarine rides, that is visited by a lot of turists from the cruise ships, and they take them in a "pirate" ship. But if you go there for snorkeling, like I did, when there are no ships, I believe Tuesdays or Thursdays, its a paradise!!

Visit Paradise point, the view is astoning.

St. Croix is not so fun, much poorer, and more industrialized. There are a few restaurants in the boardwalk, but that's it. To the north there is a diving school (I forget all the names, sorry), that can take you dive with sharks. I did!!!

Other than that, not much to do, but hey, its the virgin islands, MON!