Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Great Lakes to Atlantic questions

Looking for information regarding sailing from Lk Mi to the Atlantic and then ultimately to the Med. Has anyone made the trip? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ortho...your question covers a LOT of ground and provides little background information so it is difficult to respond to. My guess is that if you break it up into chunks and are a bit more specific about the type of advice you seek, you'll get more replies. Example...what ROUTE? What kind of boat and crew? Leaving for Europe from where to where?? Prior sailing experience/skill? etc. etc.
Old 12-27-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
A member of Sailnet cruised from Racine to Lake Ontario this past season. That's a major portion of the trip you will be taking. I believe he went through the Trent Waterway but you might consider the Erie Canal to the Hudson River.

Try to contact Irwin32. He might be able to help.
Old 12-27-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There are a few different ways to get from Lake Michigan to the Atlantic. The most time consuming would be to simply sail through the Lakes to the St. Larwence River. You can also cut through Ontario at Georgian Bay and come out on Lake Ontario, then either go up the St Larwence or another canal on the south side of Lake Ontario to the Erie Canal and then to the Hudson River. You can also go south off the St Larwence to Lake Champlain and then the Hudson. Use of any of the canals will require unstepping your mast.

Depending on the amount of time you have, an alternate would be to leave Lake Michigan at Chicago to the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers to the Tenn-Tom Waterway and out the Tombigbee to the Gulf at Mobile,Alabama. You would still have to unstep your mast from Chicago to the Mississippi though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Check the archived entries in this blog for the beginning of their trip. This couple left Chicago and are currently in Key West, headed for the Bahamas. They went through the Welland Canal to get over to the Hudson.

http://scottsuesailaway.blogspot.com/

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-27-2006

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road
These people went from Chicago to Florida, I found it very interesting reading. Someday hope to do the same.

http://www.nereus32.com/
Old 12-28-2006

me ma is on a distinguished road
Ortho, I am just finishing the Great Loop which took me from the Detroit River, through to Mobile Bay, across the Gulf of Mexico and back the East Coast through the Erie Canal. I have left my boat just 250 miles short of finishing, at Dunkirk, NY on Lake Erie because it was too treacherous out there the middle of October and I will continue in the spring. I have single handed this trip (5200 miles so far) and it is much of what you will also be doing. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help in your planning, etc. I would also like to recommend you join the AGLCA (America's Great Loop Cruising Association) where you will find even more valuable information about your trip, whether you do the loop or not. Smooth sailing

maryellen
s/v indigolady
indigolady@yahoo.com
Old 12-28-2006

me ma is on a distinguished road
Just in case you are not familiar with the Great Loop. It is the Inland Waters of the Eastern United States. When I left the Detroit River I headed to Chicago where I took down my mast. I found Lake Michigan to be quite a challenge, but since I live and race and cruise on Lake Erie I was lucky to draw from that experience to make it to Chicago. At any rate, best of luck with your plans.

maryellen
Old 01-02-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
What route you take depends on where you are on Lake Michigan and how much time you have. Having done about 500 locks with power boats and sailboats, sailboats are not very suited for locking. So don't choose a route that has 45 lock stations like the Trent Severn Canal. You'll also want to choose a time of year thats good for the Atlantic crossing. Right now you are looking at 2008
Old 01-02-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
From Detroit it's about 3 to 5 days to the east end of lake erie near buffalo where you can pick up the erie canal. you unstep the mast and take the canal to albany. takes a week. then, after re-stepping, down the hudson to nyc, less than a week. so from detroit it's less than 3 weeks to salt water via the erie canal.