Trailer Sailors and Standing Headroom - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Trailer Sailors and Standing Headroom

I was shopping for a trailer-sailer at first (a trailer-sailor is a guy or gal who sails trailers ) thinking I was going to park it in the back yard when not in use, but am glad I didn't. I wouldn't use it anywhere near as much if I had to step the mast and back it down a ramp rather than have it in a slip ready to go. Plus getting a non-trailerable boat allowed me to get one that was beamier and deeper keeled. My slip fee at $250 a month still stings a bit though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago
GreenasGrass

"$1900 to store for the winter." In Canada that equals about $10/day? Am I right?

Looking at a population map, it looks like Canadians are either trying to storm the US or just did enough to get out of the US. Props for burning our White House in 1812 though. We needed a hurricane to put the blaze down.

Canadians are famously nice people. Why is that? A Canadian reporting a stolen car to the police: "I'm sorry to bother you but my car has been stolen."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Regardless of what boat I get I'll have a slip for her 6 months of the year. I work 4 days a week, which means the bulk of my sailing happens on week ends and evenings. I don't want to sacrifice 1 day in three to launching rigging and unrigging a boat.

A 25' boat for me at a good municipal Marina in the 1000 islands is $381/month CDN, so that's maybe $300 US. I could find much cheaper. Also, most of my sailing is done with my son who's two and a half, so he's more of a liability for mast stepping and launching than a help for the time being.

My concept for trailering is so I can take the boat to Cape Breton or Florida or where ever when I have a two or three week vacation and to save the time, cost and aggravation of winter storage on the hard. My current boat is $1900 to store for the winter plus it's a 35 minute drive each way to get anything done on it.

Registered User is right though, I (or my wife) might not even like a trailerable boat when the time comes, so resale and condition are definitely concerns.
post #153 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago
GreenasGrass

Seems that my quoted slip fees are high. I've been looking in California and Florida because that is where the boats are.

post #154 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Places that are saturated with boats like Florida are a great place to buy one at a bargain, but not so much to keep one at one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #155 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoshoes View Post
Places that are saturated with boats like Florida are a great place to buy one at a bargain, but not so much to keep one at one.
Indiantown used to be the go2 place for cheap storage.
Now it's further into Okeechobee like Belle Glade area.
post #156 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Looking at a population map, it looks like Canadians are either trying to storm the US or just did enough to get out of the US.
Close, when most of the settling occurred in my area (St Lawrence Valley and Lower Great Lakes), it was settled by immigrants fleeing the US. There was a losing side in the American revolution many of those who supported the crown or had fought for the wrong side did not stick around, they escaped to the nearest safe haven, basically, they stepped across the boarder into the nearest friendly country. These folks were called United Empire Loyalists. My ancestors had lived in the Hudson Valley but after American Revolution resettled in the St Lawrence valley around 1800. It seems in the last few months, this trend has been repeating itself, we're getting lots of people escaping North from the US right now. Of course, Canada was a favourite for conscientious objectors during the Vietnam war as well.

Here's an article:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...409737425.html
Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 PM.
post #157 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoshoes View Post
I was shopping for a trailer-sailer at first (a trailer-sailor is a guy or gal who sails trailers ) thinking I was going to park it in the back yard when not in use, but am glad I didn't. I wouldn't use it anywhere near as much if I had to step the mast and back it down a ramp rather than have it in a slip ready to go. Plus getting a non-trailerable boat allowed me to get one that was beamier and deeper keeled. My slip fee at $250 a month still stings a bit though.
Did this exact thing for a long time and it wore thin. After I got a small keelboat I rediscovered the love for sailing and use my boat so much more than I did the last few years of trailer sailing. Still don't own a big boat but it's big enough for a weeks cruising and a weekend/evening warrior lifestyle.
My little 25 footer gets more use than any other sailboat at my marina. I've never even seen the biggest boat there under sail!
seabeau likes this.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #158 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago
GreenasGrass

1) First wave of Canucks: "God save the King of England"
2) Second wave of Canucks: "Hell no, I ain't fightin' no jungle war in Vietnam."
3) Third wave of Canucks: "Just get me outta here" That was during the Bushbarian Reign of Terror. I was one looking at Canadian jobs and taking note of other Americans doing the same.
4) Fourth wave of Canucks: "Just get me outta here." These folks think that Trump is scary.

No wonder Canadians are so liberal? You keep getting our liberals. Anyway, America loves having Canada to the north. We get oil and wood and pats on the back. We have an idea and the Canadian government says, "Oui, oui monsieur." Canadians love to sell us wood and oil.

Its a great relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Close, when most of the settling occurred in my area (St Lawrence Valley and Lower Great Lakes), it was settled by immigrants fleeing the US. There was a losing side in the American revolution many of those who supported the crown or had fought for the wrong side did not stick around, they escaped to the nearest safe haven, basically, they stepped across the boarder into the nearest friendly country. These folks were called United Empire Loyalists. My ancestors had lived in the Hudson Valley but after American Revolution resettled in the St Lawrence valley around 1800. It seems in the last few months, this trend has been repeating itself, we're getting lots of people escaping North from the US right now. Of course, Canada was a favourite for conscientious objectors during the Vietnam war as well.

Here's an article:
Refugee nearly freezes to death crossing Canadian border - Winnipeg Free Press
seabeau likes this.
post #159 of 165 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
1) First wave of Canucks: "God save the King of England"
2) Second wave of Canucks: "Hell no, I ain't fightin' no jungle war in Vietnam."
3) Third wave of Canucks: "Just get me outta here" That was during the Bushbarian Reign of Terror. I was one looking at Canadian jobs and taking note of other Americans doing the same.
4) Fourth wave of Canucks: "Just get me outta here." These folks think that Trump is scary.

No wonder Canadians are so liberal? You keep getting our liberals. Anyway, America loves having Canada to the north. We get oil and wood and pats on the back. We have an idea and the Canadian government says, "Oui, oui monsieur." Canadians love to sell us wood and oil.

Its a great relationship.
mmmm [much too polite to comment here] .....Ralph
Tanski likes this.

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
post #160 of 165 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

I got my trailer sailor and she definitely does not have standing headroom, I can sit upright easily though, but we saw her and instantly fell in love. She trailers easily behind my SUV and can be launched at my local boat ramp.

She is a Gaff head Cat rig with bilge boards. She might be a bit of a handful in stonger winds with a flat bottom, 8" draft, no ballast, a 6'3" beam and a sail area displacement ratio of just a hair over 30, but I think we're up to the task.

Here is a pic, more to follow when daylight returns, just pulled her home, I haven't even gotten her wet yet. She's a Bay Hen 21.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170421_180809.jpg  
seabeau and Towguy like this.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8

Last edited by Arcb; 1 Day Ago at 08:23 PM.

Tags
paul in nanaimo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.