Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
From Portsmouth, RI, to Chesapeake Bay, MD

Greetings!

Has anyone made this passage, particularly in spring?

My brother is purchasing a '71 Cheoy Lee Clipper Ketch located in Portsmouth and we need to begin planning the voyage south to "home." The trip will begin sometime in spring. Although, at the rate the weather is going, if it stays this mild we may do it sooner...

Interestingly enough, the boat began life in Virginia, moved to Rhode Island, and may now be coming nearly full circle.

If anyone is interested, once he secures this boat, he'll be selling his Bayfield 25 and also the pickup he used to haul it around. I think, though I can't speak for him, he'll take $20k for the boat, trailer & truck...the boat is also available seperately. If interested, let me know.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jon...have made the trip offshore from Montauk to Norfolk as well as "inside" through the Sound and NYC...down the Jersey Coast and up the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake. Which way to you plan to go...will the boat have a shakedown cruise before leaving...and how much time do you have to do the trip?
Old 01-04-2007

Greetings!

We'll be heading south from Portsmouth to Chesapeake.

We're not sure how much time we'll have before actually taking the trip. If the current owner is amenable, he'll be going the entire trip. If he's only able to do a 1-day sail, we'll most likely hire a captain to take us at least part way depending upon costs involved.

As for time on the trip, depends upon what the "average" passage time would be. I'm thinking around 4 days or less - but that's without knowing anything at all about the conditions, etc., nor what she'll make as far as kph goes. We're happy to budget as much "realistic" time is needed - but we do need to know what that will be.

We have much planning to do...including finding a decent marina for that boat - a 42' craft isn't exactly easily moored somewhere... Right now Herrington Harbour is getting my vote.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 01-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well done, Jon - getting someone else to keep buying bigger boats for you!! What's your secret?

I almost feel sorry for the Bayfield... being passed over so soon!

Seriously, though, good luck with your delivery.
Old 01-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...I guess that means Offshore, non-stop, RI to VA.
Montauk to VA took us 2.5 days in a 44 footer so my guess is that 4 days is a good estimate for how long it should take. I would be prepared especially in early spring to pull in at Montauk and be sure you have a good 3 day forecast before proceeding south. A lot of really violent squalls move offshore at that time of year due to the cold/hot differentials and there is nowhere to pull in if a low comes sweeping across. The good news is that once you clear the sea lanes into NYC & Philly there is not very much traffic except for fishing boats until you get to Norfolk.

Doing an offshore run in an untested very old and new to you boat in a season where the weather can change quickly does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I hope you encourage your bro' to buy/rent the proper safety equipment, clean out the tanks and fuel system and get the proper marine forecasts before deciding to head out. If the existing owner is experienced offshore and still willing to go all the way to Norfolk with you...I'd consider that a real good sign about how the boat has been maintained!!
Old 01-05-2007

Thanks guys!

Faster - I "pay" for my share of the boat through what work I can do on it, that is, through sweat equity. When the time comes that I can financially contribute (beyond the nickel/dime stuff) then I'll do so. In this case, this boat has a bit of water damage to most, if not all, the teak plywood around the portholes (apparantly these boats go by "leaky teaky"). The portholes were fixed, but the plywood wasn't replaced. So, I'll be pulling that apart and replacing the wood. Not exactly a job I'm looking forward to (I'm expecting the worst - meaning far more work than it looks), but that's how I "pay" my way for now...

Cam - thanks for the input! As I said, if the current owner isn't able to go with us (he had originally sailed the boat north upon his purchase), we'll attempt to hire a captain (someone with experience) to take us as far as possible at least until we get close enough to the Bay area where we'll be able to handle it. And yes, I'll make sure we've a life raft aboard at the very least...

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

Last edited by jmunson2; 01-05-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2007

Greetings!

Back on this thread once again.

Looks like the boat sale is going through - the craft has been accepted, with some money in escrow for certain things, and the financing end is under way.

So, that being said, I'm looking for more specific information.

We're trying to determine routes to go (Portsmouth, RI to Herrington Harbour, Chesapeake Bay, MD) and approximate nautical miles each route would take. We are also trying to determine relative costs involved, whether or not legs will be involved (not the human kind, mind you as that's a given), general weather conditions (although that is now rather up-in-the-air [excuse the pun]), currents, other influences on speed-of-passage, etc.

We don't have charting software (like Fugawi), but that is going to be part of the costs (depending upon a GPS solution) we'll be incurring as part of outfitting/repairing/making ready for the passage.

Anyone with specific information please post - I'd love to entertain your thoughts!

Thanks!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II
Old 01-24-2007
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
Google it

Jon, get google earth from google.com. It has a ruler that you can do some planing for your trip.
Attached Thumbnails
From Portsmouth, RI, to Chesapeake Bay, MD-ri-va.jpg  
Old 01-24-2007

Thank you Velero.

I actually, a while ago, downloaded a free enc reader (forgot from where) and used that to guesstimate mileage for a direct trip - about 450nm is what I determined (could be more). That software, while nice, has a very steep learning curve that I am not willing to pick up at this point (can't knock the free aspect though) - I found the interface a little less than intuitive.

What I was hoping is that someone may be gracious enough to correct that for me with something a little more advanced, as well as "follow the curve" to determine basic mileage for an along-the-coast route.

I will, however, revisit google earth and see what I can do with it in the meantime.

I am still seeking feedback from those who have made the trip, or a similar trip, or as part of an overall trip, to get a more realistic feel of what to expect.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 01-24-2007

OK, I've revisited Google Earth (has been changed from my last visit, nicely I might add).

I used the ruler option to calculate a basic direct path and a basic "hug the coast" path. I came up with at least 475nm for a direct path and 505nm for a hug-the-coast path.

For the direct path, I determined that, at a couple of points, we'll be about 35-40nm out from a shore.

So, on a basis of averaging 7nm/hour over 10 hour days, that's about a 7 day trip. If we continously sailed (no stops or problems) at that average, that'd be 2-3 days.

Now, the question of the moment is, is that a realistic view?

Thanks all!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

p.s. Thanks Valero, for bringing Google Earth back to my attention.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.