SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

flying foreign flag

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  guggech 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a dual citizenship from the US and Switzerland. I just purchase a Gecco 39 in Dana Point and have it register with the coast guard and the boat is residing in Moss landing, CA. While traveling in and out of the US can I fly either flag? ( US and Swiss)
Thanks,
Charles

#3 ·
Just an opinion, not based on any rule of law...If it is a US Coast Guard registered boat, it should fly the US flag in place of honor. That is commonly at the stern (starboard or center), or off of the leach, or backstay. A Swiss flag could be flown as a courtesy or house flag, commonly off the starboard spreader.

So I looked it us on the internet: Boat flag etiquette

Yes, it sounds like I had it correct. The Swiss flag could be considered a courtesy flag by my reading of this summary. This does not negate the need for a host country flag in a place of honor (on top of all courtesy flags).

By the way, welcome to the neighborhood. I'm over in Santa Cruz. Let me know when you cruise over this way!!

Scotty

#4 ·
US regulations, not necessarily those of any other country:
The national ensign worn by a vessel must be the flag of her registry—not necessarily that of the owner or operator. Marconi-rigged sailboats may fly the ensign from the leech of the aftermost sail (or from the back stay), approximately 2/3 the distance up its length. This puts it in about the same position it would occupy if the boat were gaff-rigged.
At anchor or made fast, the ensign should be flown from the stern staff of all boats. The U.S. national ensign has a 10:19 hoist/fly ratio.
You may fly your country of origin's flag on the port flag halyard opposite where you would fly the courtesy flag of the country you are visiting on the starboard flag halyard.

#7 ·
When we cruise to BC waters, we fly the US flag from the radar post on the transom. Nice visible location, just under the stern light (previously moved up there) and it's on the proper part of the boat.
The CN courtesy flag was flown from our only other "flag halyard" on the starboard spreader.

Fair winds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.