Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007

tayana48cc is on a distinguished road
Sailing to Bermuda in Feb. 2007

I am going to help a friend move his sailboat a 62' beneteau from Richmond, VA to St. Thomas via Bermuda. Has anyone made this trip at this time of year. Did you experience any weather problems? Which weather routing service did you use, if any?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nice to have another Tayana aboard....WE RULE!!
Am I reading that right...a Beneteau 62?? I thought their biggest was 57.

I am certain that February is not a good time to be heading to Bermuda, but you might get a weather window to do it.
Here's links to average wind and wave historical data 150 miles off Hatteras:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/images/climplot/41001_wh.jpg
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/images/climplot/41001_ws.jpg

As to custom forecasts you might investigate:
Jennifer Clarks Gulfstream analysis http://users.erols.com/gulfstrm/
and Chris Parker's weather/routing service:
http://www.caribwx.com/offerings.htm

Chris is a superb forcaster and understands boats and passagemeaking as well as the weather!

I assume you will have SSB and Herb Hilgengerg is a time honored resource for this passage and he is free.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/hehilgen/vax498.htm
Old 01-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Cam, Beneteau built some 62' in the early 90's. Some had a lot of osmosis problems and several were re-called.

Same happened with the First 45 F5 hulls
Old 01-09-2007

There were 10 Beneteau 62's built. This one was built in 1995. A Bruce Farr design and built in France. The hull has been stripped and epoxyed and seems to be in good condition. I help him move it from Houston to Maine last summer and spent a total of 6 months crusing, mostly in Maine,. The boat is currently in Portsmouth, VA. When we left Houston area, it was blowing 30 - 40 knots with 15+ foot seas. The leg to the Dry Tortgus only took 4 days averaging 200 mile days. Since the boat has an 83' mast it was all offshore.
Thanks for the web referrals. Looks like the average seas don't get over 4 meters. It's the occasional 10 meter waves that may prove to be interesting.
Old 01-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like you might have the boat in OceanMarine in Portsmouth and if it is a blue hull...I have seen her...quite a beauty. My boat is there right now too getting a bottom paint. Small world!
Sounds like you are used to heavy conditions and the boat is capable. Would caution that the waves in the stream in 30-40 knots out of a northerly quadrant are NOT like normal waves so I would think that having a good forecast to get you through it without risking a gale would be important. Have fun and stay warm.
Old 01-11-2007

The boat is at Tidewater Marina next to the Holiday Inn. Currently installing a roller furler to the staysail and installing a new high pressure pump to the water maker. Yes, it does have a blue hull. We plan on using a weather forecaster and picking a weather window. I've had some experience coming out of Miami going against the stream with 25 knot northeast wind, not much fun. Moved into Hawks channel where is was a lot more comfortable ride.
I have several friends with Tayana 52's both aft and center cockpit, cutter rigged, very nice boats.
Old 01-11-2007
moderate?

Have been in there many time. Good spot to lay over. I'm down river about a half mile on the hard right now. Have a good trip & let us know the details!