So, is a weapon advisable or not?
I am sure this topic is hotly debated amongst cruisers, but in light of Peter Blake''s recent murder, I''ll throw this out. Is having one or more weapons aboard advisable when cruising?
If I could guarantee that all I would lose is some material wealth, I would say no. But I wonder about that scenario where the attackers are not intending to leave live witnesses to their crime.
Some concerns I see:
1. If you really need it and don''t have it, you could be in big trouble.
2. If you have a weapon, you had better be skilled in its care and use.
3. If you pull it out during an incident, you had better be prepared to use it.
4. Some places probably make it illegal to possess, so you either can''t go there, give up the weapon, or hide it and risk who knows what punishment if authorities find it.
5. As in Blake''s case, there might be more armed attackers than you could ever hope to handle, so if you bring out a weapon you might just be guaranteeing death or injury for your crew.
I await the many opinions. TIA.