Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
Short story... A brand new, 2002, Hunter 45 is launched at the marina where I keep Seraph. Upon hitting the water she leaks like a sieve. She's pulled back out only to find a 1-1.5 inch gap around the keel. The keel was falling off. Hunter sends reps who make repairs. I have no idea what was wrong. BUT I do know that it was a brand new Hunter and it's keel was falling off! I wonder what else they might have missed. Seeing as how the hull to keel joint is fairly important and they obviously missed something. Not a vessel I'd ever go off shore in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Short story... A brand new, 2002, Hunter 45 is launched at the marina where I keep Seraph. Upon hitting the water she leaks like a sieve. She's pulled back out only to find a 1-1.5 inch gap around the keel. The keel was falling off. Hunter sends reps who make repairs. I have no idea what was wrong. BUT I do know that it was a brand new Hunter and it's keel was falling off! I wonder what else they might have missed. Seeing as how the hull to keel joint is fairly important and they obviously missed something. Not a vessel I'd ever go off shore in.
I just read a story this a.m. in the news about how a sailor aboard a Hunter had to rescure 3 people off a new Beneteau which was sinking because a thru-hull hose came off and there was no auto bilge pump.
These stories prove NOTHING other than the yard that commissioned the boat is comprised of idiots. You would know that not installing a (bilge pump or a) keel correctly at commissioning isn't the fault of the builder...
Citing examples as these without proper attribution of the cause only demonstrates lack of knowledge.
Old 02-27-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I believe that Hunter, as well as some other manufacturers, ship the keels separately from the boats when you get near and over the forty foot mark...hence it may well have been a yard issue there...
Old 02-28-2007

windnwaves is on a distinguished road
Island Packet would be yor best bet
Old 02-28-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Island Packet is a pretty boat, I just like looking at it.
Old 03-01-2007

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Livaboard and cruising are//may be many different realities; and the actual physical environment that you expect to live in may dictate that you have either a liveaboard or a cruising boat. That old idea of a floating Condo vs. a real seaworthy boat comes to mind. (of course you can have both). How much "stuff" can you do without ? How experienced/seaworthy are you? What physical condition are you and your crew in ? Study sailboat reviews like you were going to be tested. Read the sales info on the Shannon website,Sabre, even if you cannot afford them, you can learn what you want for one or two handed sailing. Take a look at http://www.mahina.com/boats.html