Cal 229 - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By twoshoes
  • 1 Post By twoshoes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2017 Thread Starter

Cal 229

We have just acquired a 29ft Cal 229 that has a traveler the latter part of the cockpit and does not have a bimini. The question I have is how do you put a bimini on this type of cockpit?
Attached Thumbnails
piccal229cc.jpg   images.jpeg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-18-2017

Re: Cal 229

Cal 2-25 here and my pics are a bit lousy as they don't show the relation of the traveler to the bimini together, but you could move the traveler forward to just outside the companionway like on my boat:

Or do a weird bimini that only covers the front half of the cockpit like this 2-29(don't recommend the aluminum/nylon fittings though):

Or do a weird split bimini like this 2-29:

Or move the traveler to the coach roof like this 2-29:

Gina Smith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2017

Oh, and welcome to Sailnet!
Gina Smith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My cal 31 has a similar cockpit layout. Position of the main sheet would make the bimini too small to be of any service and would get in the way of the aft ladder, which we use a lot at anchor. So, gave up on bimini idea, bought a nice wide-brim hat and put up an umbrella at anchor, secured to the steering pedestal, when the sun gets intense. When we motored down the Tenn-Tom 8 hrs per day I put up an awning over the mainsail and steered from under the shade of the awning with a boat hook (it was really hot).
post #5 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

You may have seen this already...

We have a similar issue, traveler mid cockpit.

We recently made a sunshade that sets up nicely, with the mainsheet (on a quick release) hooked to the toerail outside the lifelines.

However, it's a 'moored or motoring only' situation. No shelter while sailing. For the most part that suits us, I don't like to have to try to look around a bimini to check the mainsail trim.

Anyhow, it's a part time solution...

DIY Sunshade/Rain tent

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You may have seen this already...

We have a similar issue, traveler mid cockpit.

We recently made a sunshade that sets up nicely, with the mainsheet (on a quick release) hooked to the toerail outside the lifelines.

However, it's a 'moored or motoring only' situation. No shelter while sailing. For the most part that suits us, I don't like to have to try to look around a bimini to check the mainsail trim.

Anyhow, it's a part time solution...

DIY Sunshade/Rain tent
Faster, does your shade go whole way from stern rail to mast, underneath the boom? I have a tent that goes over the boom and can see lengthening it to go all the way to the stern. Just haven't figured out what to do with the topping lift.
post #7 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

The shade covers the cockpit from the dodger to just past the binnacle, leaving clear access to the BBQ and the stern ladder. I did not want to cover our dodger-mounted solar panel.

We have a rigid vang, but store the halyard at the boom end. When we swing the boom outboard to set up the shade it's not an issue. We've put a snapshackle on the mainsheet block so it's quick to disconnect from the traveler and move to the toerail.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.