HD TV Antenas? - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

Question HD TV Antenas?

Looking at "marine" antennas and I see prices and specs somewhat all over the place ranging from about $80 to $300. I just want to be able to get a few TV channels as a liveaboard... I was using a standard home use style flat antenna, not great and it's toast. Any suggestions...

I was thinking of purchasing this one

Shakespeare 3004 SeaWatch Omni-Directional HDTV Antenna

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

Re: HD TV Antenas?

I looked a while back but never bought one. Where were you thinking of mounting it? Let me know how you make out.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #3 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

Is there a difference between regular over the air channels and HD?

I can't even say which brand antenna my electrician installed last year. However, what I can say is that I had it moved to the top of the mast and it made a huge difference.
T37Chef and travlin-easy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

OTA TV is HD. Most signals are 720p or 1080i.

That Shakespeare 3004 looks too small to me to useful other than high signal areas. I tried one like that (different mfr.) and it was useless. Worse than a set of rabbit ears. Without some firsthand reviews, I would go with one of the "saucer" style ones. I use an older one (pre digital HDTV) and it still works well. The newer ones are probably better for UHF where most of the new stations are.

If you are in a slip, you can get away with an inexpensive directional antenna. But at anchor, they don't work well as the boat swings. Need an omni-directional antenna.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is there a difference between regular over the air channels and HD?
OTA channels are now broadcast in HD. That is why the older analog TV's now require a converter box.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

I also have one of those flat HD antennas, an "outdoor" one that I only break out every once and a while though. It works OK inside or laid outside on deck, but can be frustrating at times. (When HD signals are spotty the picture freezes up instead of just getting fuzzy like back in the day) One evening whilst anchored, I couldn't get reception for a game I was trying to watch. Having the courage, genius, and rage that only several Kraken 'N Cokes can give, I attached the 50ft coaxial cable I use for cable TV at the marina, cut a hole in it, attached the main halyard to it, and hoisted it 40 ft in the air. It worked pretty damn good then.

Last edited by twoshoes; 04-20-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-20-2017

Got it. Wasn't sure if HD was a subset of digital OTA.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-21-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
OTA channels are now broadcast in HD. That is why the older analog TV's now require a converter box.
The TV is different but the antenna doesn't matter. One way or another an antenna is a bunch of metal in the air. Paying extra for a digital antenna is like paying extra for a digital toothbrush.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #9 of 19 Old 04-21-2017
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Looking at "marine" antennas and I see prices and specs somewhat all over the place ranging from about $80 to $300. I just want to be able to get a few TV channels as a liveaboard... I was using a standard home use style flat antenna, not great and it's toast. Any suggestions...

I was thinking of purchasing this one

Shakespeare 3004 SeaWatch Omni-Directional HDTV Antenna
We have another version of the Seawatch Antenna mounted at our masthead. It seems to work very well even when we are in relatively out of the way places (in southwest Florida) albeit with fewer channels. While visiting St. Pete we had upwards of 30 channels or more and so did not bother with hooking up the cable. The built in amplifier seems to make quite a difference although one must run 12v to the device as well as the signal cable.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #10 of 19 Old 04-21-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The built in amplifier seems to make quite a difference although one must run 12v to the device as well as the signal cable.
An amp at the antenna is a great performance enhancement. Some antennas have a power injector that lets you run the 12 VDC up the coax.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.