SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Do tender need to be register with state?

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a inflatable tender on my sailboat that I want to add an outboard. Do I have to register it with the state or coast guard? The sailboat is register under the US Coast Guard.
Thanks,
Charles

#2 ·
It may depend on the state, in Maryland they do. I'd suggest you check with your state's Department of Natural Resources to make sure.

Reactions: guggech
#6 ·
Definitely not USCG, there are minimum size requirements for USCG documentation.

From the link supplied above, it seems CA requires registration if you put a motor on it, but not if its under 8ft and you row.

RI is similar. We document the mother ship, with the USCG (and still register it in RI), but only register the dinghy in RI.

The extra credit research you should do is whether CA stills requires you to register your boat there, just not display their reg numbers. USCG documenation is more akin to a title, than registration. You can not have a State Title, if you are USCG documented, but you can still require state registration.

#8 ·
Definitely not USCG, there are minimum size requirements for USCG documentation.

From the link supplied above, it seems CA requires registration if you put a motor on it, but not if its under 8ft and you row.

RI is similar. We document the mother ship, with the USCG (and still register it in RI), but only register the dinghy in RI.

The extra credit research you should do is whether CA stills requires you to register your boat there, just not display their reg numbers. USCG documenation is more akin to a title, than registration. You can not have a State Title, if you are USCG documented, but you can still require state registration.
California does not require state registration on any USCG documented vessel.

Reactions: guggech
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.