Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Cruising to Australia? Customs NAZIS here.

G'day Guys
I just arrived home from my sailing club and read the item listed in the link below. If any of you are planning to come to my country, bring money, guns or lawyers because you might need them.
Dead set mate, I am ashamed to be an Australian after reading what MY BLOODY GOVERNMENT is doing to yacht people here.
Go into the link and look for the story on Custome Dept.
The link...
www.thecoastalpassage.com

Then click on ISSUES then CUSTOMS then click on BRUTAL CUSTOMS.

I know we should be aware that since Sept 11 things are no longer the same but I know of no place where terrorists came by yacht.

If you feel a little angry, tell the Australian Consulate wherever you are or tell MY govt. direct.
Google Australian Govt. and go to Federal Parliament and tell them what to do.
Fair winds to all
Jim.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would definitely avoid Australia on my voyages, just based on the three anecdotes in that posting. While I like most of the Aussies I've met, that, combined with a preponderance of highly venomous critters, like the funnel spider; nasty critters, like the cute, but not cuddly koala bear. Those customs officials that make most third world dictators look reasonable. I thought Australia was a civilized country, with democracy and a working legal system... it appears not.

Of course, once the various major ports realize how much business they're losing due to the draconian laws, I'm willing to bet that they're re-written to only apply to large commercial vessels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-02-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
SD- The koala is not a "bear". Bears are mammals, koalas are marcupials.
Old 02-02-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
T go back to school.
SD you forgot the best one - Box jelly fish.

I thought Australia was a civilized country, with democracy and a working legal system... it appears not.
Isnt bleeding every last cent out of every last person the mark of truelly civilized country? ;D

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 02-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
SD- The koala is not a "bear". Bears are mammals, koalas are marcupials.
Yes, I know... but then again.... IIRC, Panda Bears aren't bears either.. they're more like giant racoons in many respects...

Most people do call them Koala Bears... at least that I know...and they are mammals...just not placental mammals... All marsupials are mammals...but not all mammals are marsupials.

BTW it is Marsupials...

Box Jelly fish are nasty, but they have a smaller one that is almost as bad... and they have several species of snake, including a sea snake that are lethal.

Quote:
How Venomous Are Australian Snakes Really?

When you look for information about Australian venomous snakes you read statements like these again and again:
  • Australian snakes are the most venomous in the world.
  • 7 of the worlds 10 most poisonous snakes live in Australia.
  • You will likely come across a list of the worlds most venomous snakes, starting like this:
  • Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
  • Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis)
  • Coastal Taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)
  • Mainland Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus)
  • Peninsula or Black Tiger Snake (Notechis ater niger)
  • The first five snakes and most of the snakes on the list are Australian.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-02-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Like we are so much better
http://www.keynoter.com/articles/200...ews/news06.txt

I like the quate on the Socahtoa's web site after the fact. Something along the lines of not being able to govern innocent people

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 02-02-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I would definitely avoid Australia on my voyages, just based on the three anecdotes in that posting. While I like most of the Aussies I've met, that, combined with a preponderance of highly venomous critters, like the funnel spider; nasty critters, like the cute, but not cuddly koala bear. Those customs officials that make most third world dictators look reasonable. I thought Australia was a civilized country, with democracy and a working legal system... it appears not.

Of course, once the various major ports realize how much business they're losing due to the draconian laws, I'm willing to bet that they're re-written to only apply to large commercial vessels.
SD,
I have to admit that I'm taking this one with a grain of salt right now.

While it is true that the current Australian government are a pack of ratbags (IMHO only of course) and our foreign minister in particular is a complete nutter with a penchant for fishnet stockings and high heels, I'm finding it a little hard to believe that this situation is as bad as it's being made out to be. I've seen posted elsewhere a letter from customs saying that the only restriction is that notice of entry must be given at least 96 hours prior to expected arrival and that there is no maximum for that notification.
Now the only countries in the world that are within 96 hours sailing time from Australia would be New Guinea and parts of Indonesia. So on the face of it provided you notified Australian customs prior to departure for Australia you would be easily covered.
I'm finding it a bit hard to fathom that at the time of checking out visa requirements the couple referred to weren't supplied with the information but then bureaucratic incompetence can not be overlooked. The penalty on the other hand seems totally out of proportion to the offence.
Regards
TD

Oh, and you forgot the Blue Ringed Octopus and yes Koalas are simply Koalas just as Pandas are simply Pandas.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-04-2007
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
I seriously considered relocating to Australia. Then I discovered to my horror that I was categorized as "undesirable". Mwaaa!

I am too old (47) and my job (architect) is not on the list of "skill shortages". Oh, and one other thing- apparently I'm too white. I was told that if I were a "minority" I could apply for asylum. Yes, I was assured that as long I am not white (yuck, spew), my asylum application would be accepted.

Even if my skills DID meet their demands, they will not accept ANY white person of my age. Too damned old. Who wants a bunch of old people like me running around taking up space. Not me.

I suppose I could bribe someone. Grease a few palms.

Last edited by capecodphyllis; 02-07-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodphyllis
I seriously considered relocating to Australia. Then I discovered to my horror that I was categorized as "undesirable".

I am too old (47) and my job (architect) is not on the list of "skill shortages". Oh, and one other thing- apparently I'm too white. I was told that if I were a "minority" I could apply for asylum. Yes, I was assured that as long I am not white (yuck, spew), my asylum application would be accepted.

Even if my skills DID meet their demands, they will not accept ANY white person of my age. Too damned old. Who wants a bunch of old people like me running around taking up space. Not me.

I suppose I could bribe someone. Grease a few palms.
So shocked and appalled was I by your case that I've spoken with the cross dressing looney who is our foreign minister and he's asked me to put you straight.

We've studied the lay of the land and realise that not allowing an unemployable, aging old fart to come and live here was a mistake. In future we will have new regulations that state quite specifically the only people we will allow in must be ready and willing to go on the dole immediately they arrive and be within ten years of pensionable retirement age. You also need to guarantee to slug the Australian taxpayer with your medical bills, kids education expenses would also add to your appeal. Failure to become a burden on the Australian taxpayer will see you deported but that hardly seems likely now does it ?

BTW , there is a rumour running around the Australian Immigration Dept that the real reason you were rejected is that you are a complete dill but I find that pretty hard to believe.

ps - the suggestion that whites are discriminated against in Australia is utter crap and if you could find someone to sponsor you (essentially guaranteeing you a job) you would not have any major trouble. The big problem in reality is that the best place to find an architect in Australia is behind the bar at the local pub so why on earth would we want to import any more ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-04-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

This from the Australian Cistoms and Immigration website. Does this sound all that draconian ? I think not.

information for yachts travelling to australia - let us know you're coming

The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival. Penalties may apply for failure to do so.
There are several agencies interested in your arrival - principally Customs, Quarantine and Immigration.
96 hours notice may be given by either;
  • Sending an email to yachtreport@customs.gov.au:
  • Sending a fax to +61 2 6275 6331;
  • Phoning Australian Customs National Communications Centre on telephone number +61 3 9244 8973
You will need to provide the following information
  • The name of your craft;
  • Your intended first port of arrival;
  • Your estimated arrival time;
  • Your last four ports;
  • The details of people on board including name, date of birth, nationality and passport number;
  • Details of any illness or disease recently encountered;
  • If you have any animals on board;
  • If you have any firearms on board.