Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
Snider - I had the same worry, and mentioned it to the doctor when we were discussing the antibiotics for the list of medications. She was a very "proper" British lady and I was on my best formal behaviour as well. When she didn't reply directly to my question about what to do with a bout of appendicitis while 5 days from any help she didn't reply directly but her expression spoke volumes. In my best American idiom, I noted "In that case I'm screwed, aren't I?" and she laughed out load and nodded her head. then again, she doubled the amount of antibiotics she allocated to me, so my directness probably broke the ice

Sailingdog - I didn't inquire about "Zofran" patches; I didn't realize they existed!
Umm.. this was the second time I've mentioned them. Most people don't know that they exist. Their use is relatively rare, and they're probably fairly expensive...but if you can get them... they're a relatively high-confidence, low side-effect way of stopping seasickness. From what I understand, Zofran has far fewer side effects for most people than does Scop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
Trantor,

I'm still working on this list. I am fairly certain that I can get EpiPens added and perhaps some alternatives to the antibiotics and antifungals and analgesics (I would like to get Percocet or the like, but will wait until I get to a country which hasn't made them illegal). I'll keep the board posted on additions. I'm also tempted to stop putting together the non-prescription components and first-aid supplies piecemeal, and at the moment this Marine 2000 kit looks like a good and complete deal.
That is a pretty solid kit. Eric Weiss, the president of the company has written a few good books, including a new one on marine medicine as well. I think the color-coding system and separating supplies based on usage makes a lot more sense than some of the other kits, which just bundle everything all together.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-16-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog - that kit compartmentalization in the kit is certainly one of the big selling features for me, as is the book and reputation of the company; I'm shopping around right now for internet pricing and have seen ranges from $499 through $575 (for the same kit!). Once I'm pretty sure that I've got the best deal I'm going to order it and throw it into the big Pelican case - I'll have enough band-aids, gauze, tape and other 1st aid extras to take care of minor stuff and will only need to delve into the big kit on emergencies.

I still haven't found a source for the Zofran patches (lots of sources for the pills, though).

Oddly enough, the Marine 3000 kit is billed as ">24 Hours from aid" while the Marine 2000 kit is "<24 Hours", yet the manufacturer states that the difference is mainly in the quantity, not the contents. The only content differences between the 3000 and 2000 are:

Glutose Paste
After Sting Relief Jellyfish
Hydrogel Streile Dressing
Tender's After Burn Aloe (1oz.) [both have a 4oz tube]
Dental Floss
Oil of Clove

Last edited by Zanshin; 02-16-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2007

davidbrooke2003 is on a distinguished road
One thing I would add is:
Tetracyclean (spelling?) it is a antibiotic the medical book I have for emergency use.
And the #1 thing to get is Phenagren!(spelling?) 25mg sepository, just do it. it is not that hard, ;-). All other anti-seasick drugs are junk. In 30min with this stuff you WILL be cured. It is a strong anti-nausia drug.
Old 02-22-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dave-
Tetracyclin was passed out like candy in the 60's and 70's so there are, IIRC, many bugs resistant to it and that makes it a mixed value.

Phenergan, aka promethazine, is IIRC part of the "NASA cocktail" and a strong antihistamine. Many antihistamines are used to prevent seasickness, all can make you drowsy, and like most good drugs it has a list of side effects:

"Drowsiness is the most prominent CNS effect of this drug. Extrapyramidal reactions may occur with high doses; this is almost always responsive to a reduction in dosage. Other reported reactions include dizziness, lassitude, tinnitus, incoordination, fatigue, blurred vision, euphoria, diplopia, nervousness, insomnia, tremors, convulsive seizures, oculogyric crises, excitation, catatonic-like states, and hysteria."

All the more reason to have several meds in the kit, rather than just one. And, to actually try them out while at home, on land, with a "trip sitter" to keep an eye on you. Just in case.
Old 02-23-2007
Telstar 28

Tetracycline also has some nasty side effects, like enhanced photo-sensitivity...which means you sunburn extra crispy, extra fast...

Zofran is far better than Phenergan and has fewer side effects for most people.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-18-2013

osii is on a distinguished road
Re: Prescription medicines for first aid kit

Did I not see Demoral on this thread? What do you do if someone breaks their arm or leg? If I am going to be at least one to three days away from medical treatment, I would want something to help with the pain of a limb breaking. I would have a few pills and at least enough liquid for a few injections.

As far as legality goes, as long as you have something that was prescribed and bought at a pharmacy, proving it's legitimacy should not be a problem in this information age. If you are really worried, just photo the prescriptions and receipts and keep 'em on your smart device and the cloud.

I travel with quite a few prescription drugs all the time. If any LEO wants to know if they are legit, they can call my pharmacists anytime. I don't even bother carrying any documentation on me.

Admittedly, it's also easier being middle aged and having all these drugs than being 25.
Old 02-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Demorol.

You won't just be able to buy it at a pharmacy, you'll need to pay for a doctor's visit and then explain to him why you want an rx for narcotics, and many states are getting much tighter about that these days. And the side effects of most heavy meds (Bugs! Get them off me! Bugs!) can be a serious concern as well.

If you have an existing relationship with a doctor, they may be willing to write you an rx for the entire offshore med kit, whatever is within reason. Of course, you may have to pay that without insurance since there's no medical need for it at the time.

And this brings up one advantage of a federally documented vessel: The captain can order whatever meds he needs, including narcotics, for the vessel. Usually from a dispensary pharmacy. And those aren't easy to find, but your local pharmacist should be able to puzzle it out and locate one.

Scrip from your doc? Technically, legal only for you. Scrip for the vessel? Legal for everyone aboard.
Old 02-18-2013

osii is on a distinguished road

HS, agreed. And another great reason to have a captains license.

If you can afford a sea worthy vessel, and the time off to sail it, you can afford demoral without an insurance copay.

Most middle aged persons have good relationships with far too many physicians.
Old 02-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

A captain's license is not required nor relevant.

A federally documented vessel is the criteria. If you own it and "skipper" it, that's all you need.

Generic demorol is surprisingly cheap.