• 1 Post By Don0190
  • 1 Post By smackdaddy
  • 1 Post By ianjoub
  • 2 Post By MarkofSeaLife

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Month 9 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

This past month we traveled from Vero Beach Florida to St Augustine Fl. Not that far as we had some family things to be done and St Augustine was a good location to do it from.

We spent 13 days in a marina at Vero Beach on a mooring and 1-month at St Augustine on a mooring. Since we paid for the Vero one when we left and the St Augustine when we arrived all are on this month's numbers.

My daughter moved from New Hampshire to Florida and my wife went to help with that. So that was unusual expenses.

Did some standard small stuff on the boat and installed a holding tank vent filter and had the bottom cleaned. Got a couple of sun shade tarps for the boat also. So even though nothing big happened it still adds up

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books and a few movies.

Fees were $79.29 I got back from my credit card rewards, but $150 for a professional certification fee having to do with my wife who just couldn't talk herself out of it.

We got food but didn't do a restocking. Also got some clothes and shoes that are in the "food" number

The total was $ 3,574.81, that breaks down as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 625.25
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 399.12
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 54.38
Dining out - $ 1,037.32
Entertainment - $ 108.74
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 284.05
Fees - $ 70.73
Marina - $ 616.74
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 67.33
Daughter moving - $ 288.88
SeaRags likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago
The Elephant

Re: Month 9 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Don - just wanted to say I've really enjoyed these reports. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #3 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Don - just wanted to say I've really enjoyed these reports. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time.
Agreed, though I had to resist telling you how you were doing it wrong again this month :lol:
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Agreed, though I had to resist telling you how you were doing it wrong again this month :lol:
Bet if you allowed me to spend your money I would learn how to do it right. Might take awhile, but hey if it's worth learning it's worth learning right.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Bet if you allowed me to spend your money I would learn how to do it right. Might take awhile, but hey if it's worth learning it's worth learning right.
I firmly believe that you can't take it with you when you die. So, BLOW IT NOW while you have the chance.
post #6 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago

Great info. It's interesting to see how Dining Out can really add to the expenses. I've recently started using a grocery delivery service and found it very convenient and economical. Even with a $9.95 delivery charge. I order on line and everything gets delivered to the house. There is a $60 minimum for each order but, I am not wandering down the supermarket isles picking up things I did not really need. I've done a lot of cooking and have a freezer full of prepared meals so I have not been going out to dinner in awhile. The other night coming back from the boatyard I stopped to pick up some chinese take out. The bill came out to $11.50. It was a wake up as to how expensive even take out can be. Whereas $60 in groceries can feed me for at least a week.
In a few weeks I'm planing on provisioning the boat using this service instead of heading to the supermarket myself. I'd like to see if I could use this service (if it's available) while cruising and have provisions delivered to a marina I may be anchored or moored near. It would save time and Taxi costs. Though I'll still eat out on shore especially when exploring a new port.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things and waiting for Spring

post #7 of 7 Old 5 Days Ago

Dock

A daughter that only costs $288 per month is a bargain.

Mark
bigdogandy and mbianka like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.