Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BD...go for it. Didn't mean to discourage you...only to try to give you some other options. You can send me a PM when you cross the Atlanitc!
Second thing...if you've found a KP44 close in price to an Irwin 44 there is something wrong with it or someone stupid selling it...be sure you know which!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Cam,

That gave me a good chuckle first thing in the morning on a Friday! Yes, good to differentiate between them being stupid, or me being stupid...

Chuck,

I have been looking more on the west coast because it is more accessible to me for driving down to look at a boat. Florida or anyplace out there I am currently looking at airfare and travelling to areas unfamiliar to me. I have spent some time, with the Marine Corps, in the San Diego area, so I am familiar with it. I have begun shopping the Florida area at this point. A few Petersons out there of interest..... Now I just have to figure out why they are priced the way they are.... The slip issue is yet to be tackled. What type of wait have you typically experienced?

Thanks

Brad
Old 02-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Here is a story for everyone interested: I just got called last week by Fort Myers Yacht Basin. My slip is ready. Got on the waiting list THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
For what ever its worth.
This whole slip thing is really getting bad in FL. that being said when we got our boat. we started calling around and every one was saying there would be
at least a year wait. one day not long after all the phone calls we decided to just drive around to the different marinas and have a look. the first one we stopped at and spoke to the owners face to face and told them what we were looking for miraculasly just happened to have one available. A week earlier it was a 18 month wait. the contusion I jumped to at that point was It,s better to stay off the phone and just go in person to find a slip.

Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 02-16-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkorth
Cam, I saw that you had owned one and traded up, way up! I looked on your webpage and enjoyed your pictures. I was curious to see your response to TDW's questions. I am only able to 'look' for boats online as there aren't any boats larger than a 27', typically, here in Southern Idaho. I have been on an Irwin 43, but liked the idea of the swim platform on the stern of the 44. I know that typically about 90% of my time will be in port, so I am placing alot of my emphasis on interior space and layouts. I have heard of much smaller, and much lighter built boats (Catalina's) circumnavigating and have read if a person can wait for the correct weather windows and not operate on a strict schedule most voyages can be made fair weather, fairly predictably. Again, my experience is on the very slight side, so I certainly appreciate input, but cannot afford the most top of the line bullet proof boats out there, although I certainly wish I could. Searching for a safe boat, roomy space, wife likes a walk around berth (nice in port, sucks at sea), and have to be able to buy it before I expire, or the dream does....
You don't need a top of the line bullet proof boat out there. You need a boat that has been designed from the get go for off shore work NOT dockside entertaining.

I can't shout this loud enough. IF you intend to sail offshore, DO NOT make your boat buying decision based on the boats interior volume, swim platform, wine rack location or other items that are designed to sell boats. Base your decision on the boats hull/deck construction, hull shape, ability to heave to in a big blow, comfort in a seaway(not at the dock). Before you leave on the big adventure go out in 30+kts, 10-15 seas and learn to heave to, shorten sail and find the boats comfort zone. No matter much weather info you have you will encounter heavy weather. Be prepared and know what it feels like and how to handle it. Learn to navigate WITHOUT GPS. Get paper charts and learn to use them. And above all, when the **** hits the fan, learn that it's searoom you want, not closing the coast. Buy and read until it's ingrained, this John Vigor book. http://www.amazon.com/Seaworthy-Offs.../dp/007137616X

Here's another John Vigor book you should read,
http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S.../dp/0939837323
In it he lists 20 small boats, some not much more than 1/2 the length of yours, and every one is much more capable for off shore work. Size has little to do with sea worthiness.
Old 02-17-2007

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
We just finished a 2-year trip from Vancouver BC to Costa Rica. From there, we got on a Dockwise barge and got the boat to Florida lickety-split.

We did that trip after owning the boat for 5 years, and about 5,000 miles of cruising from Toronto down the ICW, and in the Pacific Northwest. [I hate to admit it, but we did all that _without_ any overnight sailing! Our first overnight was on the Pacific, southbound along the Washington coast.]

I would _not_ recommend heading into Central America with an unproven boat and inexperienced crew.

The problem isn't "seaworthiness". The weather forecasts are pretty reliable, and harbors are mostly 1-2 days apart. If you pick your seasons (after hurricane season ends in October, before "rainy season" which starts in May) and your days, the weather isn't a big concern.

The problem is getting the boat fixed when it breaks -- and it _will_ break!!! Your skills have to be up to the task, and you need an idea of what's _likely_ to break, so you can stock spares. Mexico doesn't have many cruising boats, and Central America has, basically, none.

So there are few marinas, few diesel mechanics, few fiberglass workers, few stainless-steel welders.

I'd truck it to Florida if it can be trucked. There, it's easy to get experience _safely_, with lots of backup services.

Then -- when you know the boat and yourselves -- it's time to take off.

Another alternative would be to spend a year or so in Mexico, enjoying Mexico and getting to know the boat (and yourselves). You'd have to get down the Baja peninsula to Mazatlan (perhaps with the Baja Ha-Ha). From there to Acapulco, you'll be in settled country with fine sailing.

The trip from the Panama Canal to Florida is basically an upwind bash, against Caribbean trade winds and waves. That's what decided us to use Dockwise to get from Costa Rica to Florida.

Charles

PS -- You should get a copy of Cornell's "World Cruising Routes". It is invaluable for this kind of planning.