Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
San Diego to Florida

I am contemplating purchasing a 44' Irwin in San Diego and sailing it to it's new home in Florida. Which part of Florida hasn't been determined yet as employment options for a cop would determine that. My question is, how long would it take to make that sail? Taking some time along the way, so as not to have it be a marathon run. Utilize the canal and then probably go straight across to Florida rather than stay coastal. What time of year should be avoided for this little journey? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
BD,

Ohhhh, that is a big question. I will tell you that a friend of mine who was faced with that found it to be CHEAPER to just use Dockwise (not to mention the time off). IF you are going to do it, you beter get moving before too long. You don't want to be in that part of the gulf about June/July on. August, September, October in the middle of the gulf is Russian Roulete. You could also check into shipping by truck. I would not see a problem moving a 44 Irwin by truck from California to Florida. You could consier dropping it in Houston to save a few bucks and sailing across from there. When you count in the cost of dieselm, provisioning, broken crap along the way - it may not be that much cheaper.

I can't help you with the job, but if you elect to setle in SW Florida, let me know and I can give you some yards, etc and thougths there.

Good luck.

- CD
Old 02-12-2007

Thanks

Thanks, CruisingDad, for the input. For some reason my peabrain didn't even think of trucking it part way (Houston) then sailing from there. Kinda hate to take a new-to-me boat out of the states for a 'shakedown'. Kind of like the thought of having US amenities if I have problems. That would also make it easier to just sail up the US coast rather than cut across the gulf. Let me know if you hear of any police forces wanting to give lots of money away to new (to them) police! Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-12-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
BD,

I would guess the trucking to be around 5k to Texas, plus about a grand or so rigging and derigging (each). Count on about 7k-7500 if you do most of it yourself. Really rough guess, because fuel changes, etc. Dockwise will be exponentially more than that (20k+) in my opinion, but I am using an educated guess from quotes in the past on both trucking and sending by ship. However, the trip you are talking about through the ditch and back up should not be taken lightly and would be a "questionable seamanship" decision for a shakedown cruise. Even the coast of Texas and across is tough.

THose are just my opinions. I would truck it at least to Texas, maybe all the way to Florida. The cost difference may/may not be more than a couple 2-3k. However, if you want to get the trip of a lifetime and have lots of time and money, be all means, take the ditch and across. Stop in the Baha/Mexico, Gutemala, Yucatan, and up the islands. Had another set of friends that were outfitted for just that and went up the Baha - 5 years later were still there and never went to the islands. Fell in love with the Mexican people there and the beauty. If anyone has spent much time down there, I will give their first names (as some of the finest people/cruisers I have ever met) Larry & Beth on a 49 Defever.

If you want more info on that, or anything, just let me know. Nice boat, the 44. Hope she serves you well.

Fair winds...

- CD
Old 02-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think that trucking it to Texas and then sailing it along the GOM is an excellent idea...

I also think that if you have the time, money and crew, taking some short trips down the California coast to get familiar with the boat and then bring her to Florida via the canal sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime.

However, I don't think you should do that trip unless you can get adequate time and crew to do the passage right. Unfortunately, the time window on the trip will be closing somewhat soon... so if you want to do it that way, you'll have to really get moving on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-13-2007

Regarding taking more time to make it the trip of a lifetime, that is kind of what we are thinking. To put more information into the mix, what my wife and I are planning on doing is circumnavigating. We were going to wait while we built the bankroll to go, but Idaho, where we live, is too dang far from ocean sailing. We are bareboat certified and have sailed off San Diego, and last year trailered our Catalina 25 to San Carlos, Mexico and sailed in the Sea of Cortez for a week. It only further pushed this dream from a desire into a necessity. So, we are thinking of buying the boat, moving to a coastal area where we can still work and earn the cruising bankroll, then get 'out there' in about 6 to 7 years. If we sailed from San Diego to Florida it would merely be the beginning of our circumnavigation. Then we could build experience while living in Florida, looked at Lighthouse Point (Police Dept is hiring), and become totally familiar with our boat before heading out. Sailing up and down the California coast a bit before heading down towards Mexico sounds like prudent advice. I wouldn't whine about spending some time at Catalina! We wouldn't need to move the boat immediately, so we could wait for the correct weather windows. It is just such a huge leap for us right now, to leave great jobs, our big house, and jump into the unknown. But it has to happen sometime....

Thanks for the input. Nice to 'talk' to like-minded people. Not many sailors in Idaho! Especially big-boat sailors....
Old 02-13-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If we sailed from San Diego to Florida it would merely be the beginning of our circumnavigation. Then we could build experience while living in Florida,
pretty much can guaratee if you make that trip you will be intimately familiar with your boat by the time you reach florida. I think between the baja and the western carib/gulf and tehuanapec-(sp) you could see just about every condition imaginable. that trip would give you more expieriance than living and sailing in florida for 10 years maybe more.

Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 02-13-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2007

Experience is good! I will take it in any fairly safe and sane way I can. Now, just to make it happen....
Old 02-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BDkorth...the Irwin44 is NOT a bluewater boat. I owned one and then bought a bluewater boat. It is a fine coastal cruiser and a great liveaboard but if you REALLY are planning to cross oceans in her I must warn you off. You either need to raise your buget or get a smaller boat. Sorry for the bluntness but I want to get your attention!!
Old 02-13-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
BDkorth...the Irwin44 is NOT a bluewater boat. I owned one and then bought a bluewater boat. It is a fine coastal cruiser and a great liveaboard but if you REALLY are planning to cross oceans in her I must warn you off. You either need to raise your buget or get a smaller boat. Sorry for the bluntness but I want to get your attention!!
You need to be careful Cam, you never know what sort of malcontent might rise to the bait !

From looking at the drawings and reading a couple of reviews (one notably by Perry) I was wondering why you say that ? I'm not disagreeing with you cos I've never been on board an Irwin let alone sailed one offshore but they LOOK as if they would make a fine offshore cruiser. Layout doesn't look too bad except for that stupid little table, underwater shape seems OK , so what was it that let the thing down ?

ps - not all Irwin 44s had the silly little table, some were quite usable.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-13-2007 at 11:32 PM.