Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
If you are on Lake Erie I don't think it would make any sense to go over to Chicago just head through the Welland and you will soon be at the Erie Barge canal. From what little I know a much nicer trip, lots of scenery and not nearly as much commercial traffic, shoals etc. as the other way.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Erie Canal begins/ends at Buffalo. If you send him through the Welland, he will have to go to Oswego. There is no water connection along the way.
Old 10-07-2009
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
We did the Erie Canal this summer. Don't know when you want to leave but keep in mind that it does not open until the end of May/June. I'm not sure when it closes? We started in NJ in June & it took 16 days to make it to Detroit running long days. Sailing was only an option for 5-6 days of the trip. Below is a link of our trip log: The Adventures of Dave & Amy

I have not done it but my understanding is that sailing is much harder going with the Mississippi option & you may need to drop the mast more then once on that trip.
Old 10-07-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
"Primer For First Timers on the ICW" (Toronto - Dry Tortugas - Bahamas)
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Prime...t%20Timers.pdf

On my website ( index.htm ) I also have two logs that will give you an idea of timimg....one from Toronto to Bahamas and one from Toronto to Dry Tortugas. The logs are for my trawler averaging 6 knots.
Old 10-08-2009

mooregm5 is on a distinguished road
Old post -- new considerations

Hello,

This is an old post. But if someone new reads this, keep in mind the new electrified area on the canal at Chicago. This means delays at best and complete closure at worse.

The Erie Canal (whether entered at Buffalo or via Oswego Canal) is the best bet from Lake Erie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2009

sailrmon is on a distinguished road
My wife and i did this very trip last year, leaving our home port in Sandusky, Oh. in July 2009 and sailing to Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, in the Florida Keys. we took the canal, had the mast unstepped at RCR Yachts ((716)856-6314 (Darren Wright is their Serv. manager) on the Buffalo ship canal. we pulled into a slip and were informed they could pull the mast at 10am the next morning. they were very professional. Wardells at the entrance to the canal will pull it also but their equipment is very old and i would not trust. the canal was a hoot which is why we had to get a second 10 day pass ($50.00) we were in no hurry to say the least. had the mast restepped at Riverview marina on the Catskills, a day trip down the Hudson from Waterford, N.Y. We were on a Catalina 42 with a keel stepped mast and they were able to handle it.

Probably would be better if you emailed me (billandboop@yahoo.com) my wife also kept a Blog of our trip (billandboop.blogspot.com) would be happy to share any info you may need.

Bill
S/V Wendy Michelle
Old 10-08-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The alternative is to go offshore from NYC to Bermuda...about a week. And from there, 10 days to 2 weeks to Tortola.
What is the length of your boat? NYC to Bermuda should be about 5-7 days, and Bermuda to the BVI another 5-7 days. It's 900 miles from Bermuda to the BVI.

If your ultimate goal is the Caribbean (and I'm sorry people, Bermuda and the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean) you definitely want to go the Erie Canal route. Going down the Mississippi to the Ten-Tom waterway will put you well west of your final destination, and once you get south of the Bahamas/Turks and Caicos you'll be in the easterly trade winds and you'll be on the Thorny Path.

You didn't say if you're planning this trip this year or next. If next fall, you might want to consider joining the Caribbean 1500 which leaves from Hampton, VA in early November. The Gulf Stream is narrowest around Cape Hatteras, and starting from Hampton you are across the Gulf Stream by the following day. Steve Black, who organizes the event, will hold the fleet waiting for a good weather window for the Gulf Stream crossing, and you get daily weather updates as well as real-time weather observations from other participants. This year I will be crewing in my fifth Caribbean 1500, which is actually only about 1300 miles leaving from Hampton.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.