Satellite phone choices - looking for recommendations - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zan..I agree with your last post. You don't need a pactor and the iridium can serve in emergencies and for your voice and e-mail needs. Sailmail is at $250 a year for 10 minutes a day of text only e-mail. You need the SSB but you don't need Pactor/Sailmail.
P.S. our G* phone saved our butt in Grenada during Ivan when the SSB was disabled and there was no communication available other than via Sat phone. Excellent safety device!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
I can keep telecommunication times & costs down to something like those levels.
I got caught beautifully by a laptop flying XP. Forgot the automatic updates were set on. GPRS bill rocketed. Ouch Ouch Ouch!
Old 02-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
I got caught beautifully by a laptop flying XP. Forgot the automatic updates were set on. GPRS bill rocketed. Ouch Ouch Ouch!
Which is one major reason I don't do Windows on a PC. The need to constantly update the anti-virus definitions files and the anti-spyware definitions files would be a problem when using a 'per-megabyte' connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2007
Larus Marinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Which is one major reason I don't do Windows on a PC.
Wise man. What do you recommend? I am trying to work up a Linux laptop for onboard but keep wanting to add SW that has no Linux version. (Maybe a subject for a new tread (drift)
Old 02-26-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've played with different LINUX versions on my PC but I've decided to stick with Windoze after all. If you turn off the auto-update feature of the OS as well as that of the antivirus software and turn off automatic downloading of images for e-mail it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've had the MS-Vista beta for months and just went to the released version and am about as happy with it as a MS product can make me. At least it is stable and feature rich but requires a heck of a lot of oomph to run efficiently; it isn't great for a slow processor or a machine with a slow graphic card.

Back to the Iridium Motorola 9505a phone - I have a question regarding the data connectivity set. They offer a $200 set which has a CD, but the adapter for serial can be had for $60 and I've seen the software downloadable for free on the WWW; so do I really need to get the CD?

Old 02-26-2007
Larus Marinus

Its VISTA that's driving me towards LINUX. I don't want to buy yet another computer to have one powerful enough to run it. Here I sit, surrounded by five perfectly good machines, which are being trashed by MS efforts to control the market. Even the one chunky enough to tackle XP would fold at the knees with VISTA. Groan... I'll try a new thread and leave yours to Iridium....
Old 02-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
Its VISTA that's driving me towards LINUX. I don't want to buy yet another computer to have one powerful enough to run it. Here I sit, surrounded by five perfectly good machines, which are being trashed by MS efforts to control the market. Even the one chunky enough to tackle XP would fold at the knees with VISTA. Groan... I'll try a new thread and leave yours to Iridium....
I still run Windows 2000 because I want to strangle most "helper apps" and "features". I'll only go to Vista when my business applications (which are mostly graphics programs) are recompiled for 64-bit and I can finally wring full performance out of my Opterons.

But I digress. I think given that even complex navigational programs are not particularly taxing on current laptops or small desktops (like the "car computer" Mini-ITX form factor that is about the size of a hardcover and can be bolted under a nav station), it's OK to use non-current hardware (read "expendable, cheap") and just forego playing the latest video games while sailing. Navigation, Web/e-mail accessl and documetation are the top three applications that want computing power aboard, but none of them are resource-hungry...even with the latest satellite phones.